Ameelio is the only nonprofit technology company committed to disrupting the captive $1.2B prisons telecommunications industry and to reducing recidivism by enabling the vital human and social service connections that improve post-release outcomes.
We’re backed by the Mozilla Foundation, the Robin Hood Foundation, Google.org, and Fast Forward accelerator. Our funders also include Eric Schmidt, the former Google CEO, and Jack Dorsey, the CEO of Twitter and Square. Our work has been covered by Forbes, TechCrunch, Fast Company, The Washington Post, Business Insider, and others.
** The Problem **
The $1.2 billion prison communications industry generates obscene profits by charging extortionate prices to the incarcerated and their loved ones. Families spend up to $500 a month to stay connected to their loved ones inside. A 15-minute phone call runs as steep as $25. Our work has never been more important. Because of COVID, prisons have shut down all in-person visitation. Low-income families have few options to communicate with loved ones.
Exclusive contracts leave prison telecommunications companies unchecked by competition: former FCC Commissioner Mignon Clyburn called the industry “the clearest, most glaring type of market failure I’ve ever seen as a regulator”.
Poverty and incarceration are viciously tied: over 50% of incarcerated people had no income eight years preceding their arrest. For-profit prison companies entrench this cycle. One in three families with incarcerated loved ones is forced into debt ( $13,000, on average) by the cost of maintaining contact.
This is a social and moral disaster.
** Overview **
We’re building the nation’s first free prison communications platform, and we’re looking for a third engineer with 3+ years of software engineering experience to join our team.
** Who we’re looking for **
* You have a strong focus on delivering value as fast as possible to our core users.
* You have a willingness to learn whatever it takes to reach impact.
* You’re pragmatic in knowing when to refactor and when to ship.
* You ship incrementally to move fast and can communicate how the team needs to handle product transitions.
* You’re scrappy. We have to out-compete heavily funded for-profit competitors.
* You can navigate and extend a Node.js/Laravel backend to support your incredible frontend experiences.