Callisto is a San Francisco-based nonprofit organization that creates technology to combat sexual assault, empower survivors, and advance justice. Specifically, we create websites that make it easier for sexual assault survivors to report and name their assailant and enable the detection of repeat sexual offenders. We also connect survivors to attorneys who advise them on their options to seek justice. We are funded by earned revenue from partner institutions and by philanthropic supporters, including Google.org, Y Combinator, Greylock Partners, and the Skoll Foundation.
We are a rapidly growing and powerful team, united in the belief that we can create a more safe and just world.
About the Position:
Since July 2017, we have received hundreds of inbound inquiries from interested partners in dozens of industries. We are in conversations with major players in academia, law, technology, government, philanthropy, entertainment, sports, and media who are interested in partnering with Callisto to offer our reporting platform and counseling services to their community.
The Head of Strategy & Business Development will own developing our earned revenue strategy and building and managing the team to execute on it. They will balance a desire for long-term impact (helping as many sexual assault survivors as much as possible) with a desire for financial sustainability (ensuring Callisto can afford to scale to every survivor in the United States within the next 10 years). They will decide what industries or geographies we should go into, in what order, with what customer/partner types, with what value proposition, and at what price point. They will work with the product, legal, marketing, and evaluation teams to determine how to package our offering in a way that is both appealing to partners and likely to lead to positive outcomes for sexual assault survivors.
- Assess the landscape of potential partners and competitors
- Create the go-to-market strategy for each industry/geography
- Set and track key metrics to assess the effectiveness of demand generation, sales, and customer success
- Iterate the sales and customer success strategy as needed
- Work closely with the Director of Communications to iterate the demand generation strategy as needed
- Hire and manage a team to support demand generation, sales, and customer success
Essential Skills and Experience
- Able to think creatively about various possible growth paths, create a framework for prioritizing among many potential opportunities, and develop an action and hiring plan to enable Callisto to grow sustainably long-term
- Able to discover the key value proposition to each potential partner type and create the appropriate pricing and offering tiers model
- Able to determine the main pain point for each potential early partner and close initial partners as customers (as we grow, this will be done by a sales team, but initially this will be done by the Head of Strategy & Business Development)
- Demonstrated ability to hire and manage new team members to fill gaps in the combined skill set of the team
- Experience developing a strategic plan and/or business plan for an early-stage tech startup or a non-profit with a strong earned revenue stream
Secondary and Soft Skills
- Energized by Callisto’s mission of using tech to combat sexual assault and create a world where sexual assault is rare and survivors are supported
- Can speak persuasively on behalf of the organization with potential partners
- Can communicate with potential partners in a way that will lead to full understanding of what objections they will have about the product or will face internally when they are advocating for adoption
What to Expect at Callisto:
We bring the best of many different industries together, including engineers, designers, educators, and legal experts. We’ve crafted a culture that balances ambitious world change with team sustainability and self-care. We are thoughtful, rigorous, inclusive, humble, kind, direct, creative, agile, entrepreneurial, and mission-driven. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, but take the work very seriously. And amazingly, despite the sobering realities of the problem we are trying to solve, we have a ton of fun. We identify and solve problems as a team of experts, working together to bring about our vision for the world.
Callisto offers competitive salaries, a 401k, paid leave, and medical, dental, and vision insurance. Members of the Callisto team receive a generous professional development budget. Callisto has a flexible work-from-home policy and work hours, letting you work where and when you can perform at your best.
Our Mission & Vision
Our vision is a world where sexual assault is rare and survivors are supported. Our mission is to create technology that combats sexual assault, supports survivors, and advances justice.
Callisto is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.