Chief Revenue Officer
at Code for AmericaSan Francisco, CA or Remote (in the U.S.)
Code for America uses the principles and practices of the digital age to improve how government serves the American public, and how the public improves government. Since its launch in 2011, Code for America has worked with government to help the people who need it most using modern design and technology and agile, iterative, user-centered approaches. Code for America believes that government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government services can and should be as good as the best consumer services: simple, accessible, and easy to use. And when they are, we all spend less, get better outcomes, and serve everyone with dignity and respect.
Code for America is part mission-driven non-profit, part tech startup, and deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in service of their mission. To learn more, please visit www.codeforamerica.org
ABOUT THE POSITION
Code for America seeks a Chief Revenue Officer (CRO) to scale and multiply the development function of the organization to increase the impact of its work. The CRO will lead the strategic direction and overall management of the organization’s fundraising and revenue generating operations across a range of funding sources, including government partners, as Code for America embarks on its next decade and scales its impacts.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, this person will manage a team of six individuals.
- Serve on Code for America’s executive leadership team (CXO), collaborating with the CEO and other senior leaders to help drive the organization’s vision, strategy and cultural development
- Partner with the CEO and other senior leaders to develop funding strategies that shape and fuel the organization’s existing and new initiatives
- Serve as an external face of the organization, in collaboration with the CEO and other team members, to enhance Code for America’s revenue generation, impact, visibility, brand recognition, and credibility
- Act as a liaison to the Board, presenting key development updates and ensuring that the Board has the information necessary to meet its fiduciary responsibilities
- Serve as a culture builder and carrier for the organization
Strategy and Execution
- Drive fundraising and revenue strategies that lead to organizational sustainability and growth, ensuring the engagement of Code for America’s existing donor base while cultivating new supporters among government, corporate, foundation, and individual funding communities, with an emphasis on securing unrestricted support where possible.
- Act as a lead fundraiser, securing capital from multiple sources (e.g. corporations, foundations, social good investors, private markets), to fund new and ongoing programs, such as Clear My Record, GetCalFresh, GetYourRefund, and Code for America’s Brigade Network; assess and execute on organization or program wide campaigns
- Manage resource spending and allocation, operating within the approved budget, ensuring maximum resource utilization, maintaining a positive financial position
- Further develop and support implementation of a major gifts program, to secure new funders, while continuing to support and cultivate the existing donor network
- Oversee the maintenance and improvement of Code for America’s fundraising systems and processes to ensure the organization donors are properly stewarded and reporting is timely and accurate
- Work closely with Board members to leverage their networks and relationships to meet revenue goals
- Collaboratively approach to create processes and standards that support the Code for America’s fundraising
- Assure that Code for America’s gift acceptance policy is integrated into donor identification, solicitation, and stewardship
- Hire, retain, and mentor a high-performing, diverse development team with a commitment to strong staff engagement, equity, and inclusivity; track record of leading a performance-based culture that motivates employees to excellence and promotes accountability
- Manage and motivate staff to achieve annual fundraising and revenue goals, holding team members to a high standard of excellence and accountability
- Develop and mentor individual team members to ensure individuals are achieving impact for Code for America and developing as professionals
- Foster strong cross department communication and collaboration especially with programs, marketing and finance
- Ability to evolve Code for America’s culture – Track record of leading a performance-based culture that motivates employees to excellence and promotes accountability
- Fundraising expertise – A minimum of 12 years of development leadership experience, with a track record of success in developing fundraising strategies and securing six to eight figure gifts accordingly from institutional and individual donors.
- Earned revenue experience – A demonstrated ability to think about broad range of revenue streams is required; experience with government entities and earned revenue is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and a pipeline – Ability to activate networks towards fundraising and revenue goals while also successfully inheriting donor relationships that have made Code for America successful to date
- Strategic thinking – Demonstrated success developing a compelling strategic vision for increasing donor engagement and improving outcomes, for both institutional and individual gifts and leveraging data to achieve that vision
- Critical thinking – Ability to translate the ambitious vision for which Code for America was founded into an effective, testable, and evolving narrative
- External Leadership – The ability to distil complex and nuanced messages of the organization’s mission and programmatic goals to a variety of external audiences; An understanding of how to leverage technology and human-centered design to enable systems change in service delivery, whether through staff resources or proactive learning, in order to persuasively communicate the organization’s goals (deep technical expertise is not required)
- Values-Driven – Alignment with organizational values and operating principles; demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and the ability to serve as an exemplar for an organization’s values and foster an inclusive and respectful workplace
- Strategic Leadership – Ability to communicate our strategy internally and externally to partners, funders, and the public, with the ability to visibly demonstrate leadership and represent Code for America in the funding communities
- Deeply mission-driven, with a strong belief in government as a potential force for good and a lever for change
- Ambitious with a strong desire to take responsibility and delegate/ execute tasks accordingly
- Comfortable with navigating a fast-paced and ambiguous work environment
- Supportive, committed to mentoring others
- Collaborative and respectful
- Low ego
- Open and direct
- Unquestionable integrity
- Highly empathetic
Compensation and Benefits
Code for America offers full health and dental benefits, a 401k plan with matching funds, and a culture that is collaborative, hardworking and fun.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Code for America values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.