Location: Washington, DC; Austin, TX; or Chicago, IL strongly preferred
Start Date: Fall 2020
Salary Range: $64,000 – $68,000
Benefits: Vision, Dental, & Medical Insurance, 401k, Employee Technology Allowance
CTCL’s Civic Data team creates and maintains nationwide datasets of candidate and elected officials, working with our partners to ensure that everyone in America has access to information about how they can become and remain engaged with our democracy, year round. We’re looking for a Software Engineer with a passion for civic engagement to help us continue to provide relevant, local civic data to people across the country.
This position will join our small but growing tech team to help fulfill CTCL’s software development and engineering needs. These include responding to requests from external partners and working with the team to develop internal tools to continuously help make our datasets (and our research team’s lives) better.
This position reports directly to the Director of Civic Data and it is strongly preferred that the position be based out of either CTCL’s Chicago, Austin, or Washington, DC offices. Currently, all CTCL staff are working remotely as safe reopening conditions are evaluated.
In partnership with our tech and research teams, this position will have the opportunity to work across all aspects of the Civic Data team’s technical stack. Examples of responsibilities include:
- Data standardization, matching, and publishing. Our candidate and elected official datasets are collected from thousands of different sources and while our research team goes to great lengths to clean this information, our Software Engineers ultimately get our data into the final formats our partners require.
- Internal infrastructure and tool building. We currently have a robust suite of custom tools that make our team’s work more efficient, accurate, and easier. The Software Engineer will play a large role in ensuring all of these internal systems and tools are meeting our team’s needs and in expanding them where necessary.
- Communicating and collaborating with partners. We pride ourselves on the relationships that we have with our partners, and expect our Software Engineers to be able to actively be a part of those relationships. Whether it be talking about specific requests to help make our data more useful for a particular partner or thinking through ways to improve the civic data ecosystem as a whole, this position will need to be comfortable contributing to a variety of strategic conversations.
A successful candidate for the Software Engineer position will have a comprehensive understanding of our mission and demonstrate a proven track record of success. In addition, while no candidate will possess every quality, the successful candidate will possess many of the following qualifications and personal attributes:
- Understanding of computer science and software engineering fundamentals (OO, data structures, algorithms)
- Experience with SQL (PostgreSQL a plus)
- Experience with at least one other general-purpose programming language (Python a plus)
- Proficiency with a Linux command-line environment and basic Linux server administration
- Working knowledge of UI/UX principles as well as experience with user-interface design
- Experience working with geospatial data
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced team environment that can require supporting multiple projects and responsibilities based on internal and partner needs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills