Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. As a national online force driven by over one million members, we help people respond effectively to injustice in the world around us, moving decision makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America. We activate our members to take action on crucial issues–from criminal justice to media representations to the social safety net and voter freedom–so that we can build the power necessary to transform the written and unwritten rules of society.
Color Of Change is hiring a full-time Campaign Manager for our Criminal Justice Organizing Department. We’re looking for a strong writer with an inclination toward strategic organizing. The right candidate will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and be able to handle competing priorities. This position is ideal for a highly organized, detail-oriented individual with a strong interest in digital organizing and the field of racial justice.
This position reports to the Senior Campaign Manager.
Job responsibilities are as follows:
- Live in the 24/7 news cycle. Monitor political and social events in your core areas for their potential to become campaigns, and help foster a “news junkie” culture at Color Of Change.
- Develop campaigns with a strategic theory of change that engage members to take action and pressure targets to make real-world change in alignment with COC’s mission and overall strategy.
- Create campaign assets (emails, petition pages, social media content, creative tactics, fundraising pages, and mailings).
- Use analytics to sharpen campaigns and strengthen impact.
- Build coalitions and partnerships with others in the effort of winning real-world change on your key issues.
- Travel occasionally for staff gatherings, conferences, and for campaign related actions.
- Participate actively on your department team, and our Campaigns Team and COC-wide Team to share responsibility in developing an inclusive, learning-based culture that runs campaigns to make real world change in the lives of Black people.
In this role and organization, strategic thinking and writing ability are paramount. While experience in a similar role in the civil rights sector is not required, a commitment to civil rights and racial justice is. You should have:
- Exceptional writing skills. The ability to communicate information clearly in writing is fundamental to this role. You will be asked to draft campaign documents, edit others, and communicate with a variety of internal and external stakeholders to develop campaign assets.
- Effective communication skills. The ability to clearly communicate with the staff you are working within the organization is paramount; especially in fast-paced moments, you’ll need to be clear and ask for clarity in return.
- An entrepreneurial spirit. This ambitious drive is necessary for owning the work in your issue area and should also be combined with the ability to be creative and work quickly.
- Top-notch organization skills. If the books on your bookshelf are in alphabetical order, your notes utilize colors with specific meanings, and you find long to-do lists energizing, we want to talk to you! There’s a lot to keep track of in this role, and nothing can fall through the cracks. Meeting quick deadlines is key.
- A coherent racial justice analysis.
- A commitment to confidentiality. In this role, you’ll have a window into movement and organizational politics at the highest level – confidentiality is key.
- Constructive optimism. The work that we do – be it political, organizing, or creative – is all about the art of the possible. While we’re looking to remedy deep structural issues, our progress comes incrementally – a series of wins, some small and some large, that help advance us closer to the systemic change we seek.
The following skills are not prerequisites but qualified candidates will be able to learn them quickly during on-boarding and on the job training in the first 6 months of the position:
- Adeptly use our suite of online organizing tools (ActionKit and ControlShift) to stage email blasts, landing pages, donation pages, etc.
- Write basic HTML.
- Create posts on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
- Effectively use a Black/racial justice frame of reference to write strong and persuasive campaign materials.