Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. As a national online force driven by over one million members, we move decision makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America. We activate our members to take action on crucial issues–from criminal justice to media representations to the social safety net and voter freedom–so that we can build the power necessary to transform the written and unwritten rules of society. Our work – both rapid response and long-term campaigns for change – amplifies the voices of Black folks and our allies, building power and delivering meaningful wins that create consequences for racial injustice and build momentum for implementing solutions that move Black people and all people forward.
Color Of Change is comprised of three separate legal entities: Color Of Change Education Fund, a 501(c)(3); Color Of Change.org, a 501(c)(4); and Color Of Change PAC, a 527 Political Organization registered with the Federal Election Commission as a Super PAC, and at the state or local level as needed.
The Director of Risk & Compliance will be a member of the Operations team, which comprises talent & leadership development, product, fundraising and development, IT operations, security, and facilities management. We are creative and passionate professionals from a range of backgrounds, all committed to operational excellence in pursuit of Color Of Change’s mission. Our team collaborates closely with the Campaigns, Finance, Marketing & Storytelling, and Executive Office teams to ensure that the entire organization has the tools and resources to achieve the Color Of Change mission.
Color Of Change seeks a Director of Risk & Compliance to (i) develop and oversee Color Of Change’s organization-wide C3, C4, and PAC compliance strategy and (ii) build and implement risk and quality management (RQM) tools and resources. The ideal candidate has at least 5 years of experience leading and implementing risk management and/or compliance strategies, preferably in an electoral capacity, and can thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
This position reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer and collaborates closely with other teams, particularly the Campaigns and Finance teams.
As the Director of Risk & Compliance, you are a single-stop shop for all matters risk and compliance as it relates to Color Of Change’s current and future priorities. Specific job responsibilities include:
C3/C4/PAC compliance, risk, and quality management
- Develop and oversee Color Of Change’s organization-wide compliance strategy for our C3/C4/PAC entities
- Establish COC’s internal RQM frameworks and conduct regular RQM audits to ensure best-in-class risk management on an ongoing basis
Color Of Change PAC reporting and oversight
- Oversee (i) federal and state compliance report coordination and (ii) preparation of campaign finance reports in collaboration with external consultants
- Offer oversight regarding PAC disbursements and funding in collaboration with the PAC leadership team
Internal reconciliation and cross-team collaboration
- Collaborate with COC’s development and finance teams to ensure compliance regarding fundraising, budgeting, and accounting procedures
Legal advice and internal compliance awareness
- Serve as the go-to internal resource for all questions related to compliance and risk management
- Help build and maintain an org-wide compliance mindset, and collaborate with COC’s compliance lawyers to develop and lead trainings
You are a driven, entrepreneurial leader who is motivated by building best-in-class systems and processes. You are able to see the immediate needs of an organization while remaining forward-looking and future-oriented. The opportunity to develop new frameworks, systems, and processes at a critical time for our organization excites you.
To excel in this role, you likely bring the following experience(s) to the table:
- 5+ years leading and implementing compliance and risk management strategies, preferably in an electoral or campaigns capacity
- Deep and demonstrated understanding of 501c3/501c4/PAC regulations and intricacies
- Experience leading compliance trainings and/or developing internal tools, frameworks, or resources
- Superb communication skills – both written and verbal, with a passion for collaborating with a wide variety of internal and external partners
- A commitment of Color Of Change’s mission of advancing racial justice and contributing to a less hostile world for Black people
- An entrepreneurial spirit, sense of humor, and a positive attitude
- A JD is strongly desired