Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation’s leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital-citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curricula and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, legislators, and a grassroots community of concerned parents and teachers to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are seeking an experienced Staff Accountant to join our Finance Team to help us scale smoothly and efficiently. In this role you’ll work alongside our experienced Controller and other members of the Finance and Administrative Teams. You’ll also be a member of an organization where we value transparency, are passionate about what we do, and take care in our interactions with colleagues and customers.
LOCATION: San Francisco
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Manage the posting and maintenance of general ledger accounts, payroll transactions, accounts payable, accounts receivable, adjusting journal entries and month-end close
- Monthly reconciliation of bank, credit card and revenue accounts
- Month-End Close: ensure daily, and monthly processes are completed and lead to a timely and accurate month-end close
- Prepare clear, concise and complete financial reports and statements as needed/requested
- Keep abreast of regulatory and GAAP requirements
- Support staff in understanding and complying with policies and procedures
- Ensure year-end close is completed in an accurate and timely manner; ensure supporting schedules and reconciliations are completed and available for the audit;
- Respond to auditor questions and perform research as needed; post adjusting entries and ensure that accounting records are aligned with audited financial statements
- Complete any administrative tasks necessary in order to accomplish tasks
- Support other Finance, Technology, and Human Resources teamwork as necessary
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong analytical skills
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Experience with MS Word, MS Excel, and G-Suite.
- Experience with Enterprise Level Accounting Software
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple duties simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and take on new tasks as needed. The individual will work closely with the Controller and other accounting personnel
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME:
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred) or equivalent work experience
- Minimum three years of professional experience with demonstrated success in all aspects of finance, accounting, and budgeting
- Demonstrated success managing finances and accounting in a fast-paced, high-growth organization, including supporting budget and audit preparations
THE X FACTOR:
The Staff Accountant will be an individual interested in learning new technologies related to the shifting business needs of the organization. A solutions based, team player who is interested in the story that numbers can tell.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
- Competitive health and welfare benefits, including medical, dental, vision and a matching 401(k)
- An organization that offers work/life balance
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!