Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7 crisis support via text. From our external communications to the UX of our platform, your work will actively support saving lives. At Crisis Text Line, you’ll work closely with individuals across the organization, including product managers, engineers, communications team members, coaches, supervisors, and Crisis Counselors. Collaboration is a key to our success and design is a critical partner in creating a better crisis support experience. We encourage a sense of autonomy and expect designers to be able to think critically and act as product leaders, while remaining closely aligned to the product and business objectives of the organization. That means being able to see between lines, give and take feedback well, and actively research concepts that may be foreign. We expect designers to be great on their own but even better as part of a team.
Who you are:
- Detail oriented. You have nightmares about bad fonts, typos or that weird double space.
- Cool as a cucumber while in the fast lane. You like moving quickly. You handle changes in stride and have great time management and multitasking skills.
- Organized to the gills. You love creating systems and feel confident managing design projects from start to finish.
- Hungry. You take initiative and are known to go above and beyond what’s asked of you. You anticipate needs and problems ahead of time–and love solving them.
- Expert Communicator. You believe in Crisis Text Line deeply and want to share it with anyone who will listen. You know how to make your work speak to any audience. You can articulate and defend each design choice you make and provide both specific and high level feedback to team members
What you’ll do:
- Product Design. You will design elegant User Interfaces that execute on product requirements. As part of this process, you will create sketches, wireframes, and user-flow diagrams based on project goals, deliver on polished designs with usable product assets, and iterate ideas based on feedback from the whole team and user base.
- User Insight. You will watch, listen, and understand our user problems and goals. Your designs leverage customer insights and make the designs usable and intuitive.
- Visual Identity. You’ll create purposeful, beautiful graphic/web designs that drive the Crisis Text Line brand: corporate website, actual platform, and Crisis Counselor training textbook. All of it matchy-matchy, thanks to you.
- Brand Stewardship. Manage the design and development of key brand collateral from business cards to marketing materials to swag gifts for our amazing Crisis Counselors.
- Design Principles. Show us how to be a stronger company through better use of hierarchy, fonts, color, pattern libraries, etc. Stay up-to-date on evolving design techniques and trends so we can forever improve the usability of our service.
- Proven experience in product design. We’re looking for someone with 3-5 years experience in designing and shipping digital products and services as part of a team. You’ve conceived and iterated product features based on data, analytics, and strategy, and have the portfolio to prove it.
- Solid visual design skills. You know your way around visual design software, especially Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch. You know how to set up files for web and print, and you have a solid background in graphic design – talking fonts, hierarchy, color, and UI elements will take you far. This job is both web and print so designer must be comfortable with both.
- Photo/Video Skills. Know your way around a DSLR? Do your friends ask you to take a new photo of them for their Tinder profile? Ever shot a short film? Can you make a motion graphic blindfolded?
- Positive and flexible. You’re easy to work with and take feedback in stride. You’re ready to pivot on a dime if necessary.
- Fast-paced. You’re comfortable moving quickly and handling multiple projects at once.
- Current Crisis Counselors preferred! Desire to train to become a Crisis Counselor is also good.
- 3 weeks vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s and Valentine’s Day! Plus, you don’t have to come to work on your birthday (but we’ll probably bake you cookies if you do).
- Summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
- Fully covered health insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance.
- Matching 401K, fun office environment, passionate team.
- Crisis Text Line is an equal opportunity employer.