DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company’s 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary change makers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. They help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and is sensitive to the ethical considerations they have.
The Next Phase
Thanks to generous long-term support from the Rockefeller Foundation and the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth, they are now focusing the DataKind network on issue areas, such as improving health outcomes through Community Health Workers or increasing financial inclusion. Over a period of five years, DataKind has been granted $20M to make this vision a reality and is looking for people to join them in this journey. You can read more about the new strategy here.
About the Opportunity
As the new Associate, Business Development, you will help to steward relationships and secure support from mission-driven project and funding partners. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Partnerships, the Associate will assist with all facets of DataKind’s institutional fundraising, including donor cultivation, donor communications, proposal and report writing, and maintenance of the donor database.
The Associate will also work closely with the Individual Giving Lead on event planning and execution as well as donor prospecting. This position provides an excellent opportunity to explore the many varied aspects of a growing, international organization, as the Associate will partner with colleagues across all teams within the organization to advance DataKind’smission and work.
What You’ll Do
The Associate, Business Development will be responsible for the following, in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager:
Writing & Communication
- Assist in composing and proofreading proposals, concept papers, program summaries, talking points, and personalized donor acknowledgments as well as other correspondence as directed.
- Collaborate with the communications team to produce a variety of correspondence strategies that will engage new donors and retain current donors.
- Work closely with programs and finance teams to generate narrative content, project budgets, and expense reports.
- Field and respond to donor email inquiries related to donations and partnerships.
- Update and maintain all grant and sponsorship information in Salesforce related to managed donor portfolios and the prospect base (e.g. entering contact reports, adding and updating proposals, entering future and anticipated actions).
- Maintain schedule of deadlines for grant proposals, renewals, and reports, working alongside others to ensure that all deliverables are met in a timely manner.
- Monitor compliance with grant deliverables and outcomes.
- Assist with scheduling and coordinating logistics related to donor cultivation and stewardship events.
- Assist with implementing new systems and tools to improve team efficiency and effectiveness.
- Conduct research on program topic areas/target populations and integrate findings, including statistics into work products.
- Work closely with the finance team to reconcile and process all incoming gifts and maintain restricted funding schedule.
- Generate and report weekly team metrics.
How You’ll be Measured
At the end of year one, the Associate will have:
- Worked closely with the Senior Manager of Partnerships to produce and submit timely and high quality funding reports.
- Developed a variety of donor cultivation messages.
- Generated several donor prospect reports and identified information on volunteers’ employers to allow for matching gifts solicitation.
- Developed personal goals towards creating a positive impact for the Business Development team.
- Led the general upkeep and maintenance of the donor database in Salesforce.
- 1-3 years’ relevant experience in a partnership and revenue-generating position such as non-profit fundraising, corporate sales, or business development consulting;
- Strong research skills;
- Experience with relationship management supported by superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Technology savvy with a willingness to learn new systems and team norms (e.g. (GSuite, Salesforce, and Asana).