DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company’s 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary change makers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. They help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and is sensitive to the ethical considerations they have.
The Next Phase
Thanks to generous long-term support from the Rockefeller Foundation and the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth, they are now focusing the DataKind network on issue areas, such as improving health outcomes through Community Health Workers or increasing financial inclusion. Over a period of five years, DataKind has been granted $20M to make this vision a reality and is looking for people to join them in this journey. You can read more about the new strategy here.
About the Opportunity
The Chief of Staff is charged with supporting the Executive Director and the executive team (Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer, and Chief Program Officer), ensuring they are prioritizing the highest impact opportunities in advancing DataKind’s mission and growth. S/he/they will serve as the Board liaison and provide strategic thought partnership on special projects. The ideal candidate is high capacity and strategic and thrives when supporting senior executives in a high growth context.
What You’ll Do
The Chief of Staff will be responsible for the following in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager:
- Organize and facilitate key Executive Director priorities: Strategically respond to and prioritize the high-volume demand for the Executive Director’s time, ensuring that the Executive Director focuses on the most impactful areas to drive organizational growth and impact. Manage an Executive Assistant who will also support this work.
- Serve as the Board liaison: Play a leading role in board governance, recruitment, and development, in addition to supporting regular communications on behalf of the Executive Director.
- Maximize the Executive Team’s collaboration and efficiency: Work with the executive team on weekly meeting design and implementation, agenda creation, etc.
- Manage stakeholder engagement: In collaboration with the programs and business development teams, track and oversee a broad spectrum of external outreach with a focus on prospective funders and other key supporters aligned to DataKind’s mission. Leverage stakeholder relationships to generate new leads and deepen relationships.
- Coordinate and execute special projects: Lead the execution of various projects required to support DataKind’s continued growth and brand equity. Translate the Executive Director’s goals into actionable business priorities and work streams for the organization to execute.
- Apply proactive problem-solving: Efficiently and effectively escalate and resolve mission-critical challenges and developments in a fast-moving environment.
How You’ll be Measured
At the end of year one, the Chief of Staff will have:
- Optimized the Executive Director’s time to ensure he is focused on opportunities to build the DataKind brand.
- Created systems and structures to ease preparation, and facilitate follow-up, for Board
- Led special projects that move various aspects of the organization forward.
- Determined ongoing processes for project identification, assessment, prioritization, and implementation.
- Streamlined the process for driving the agenda for the weekly Executive Team meeting.
- Previous Chief of Staff or similar experience in a start-up, multinational non-profit or management consulting firm a must.
- Experience working with and through senior level executives with expertise in maximizing meeting-time utilization.
- Ability to quickly and efficiently translate ideas into trackable, actionable plans.
- Experience serving as a key ambassador of an organization, with both internal and external audiences. Board experience in any capacity a plus.
- Experience in cross-functional executive team leadership.