DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company’s 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary change makers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. They help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and is sensitive to the ethical considerations they have.
The Next Phase
Thanks to generous long-term support from the Rockefeller Foundation and the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth, they are now focusing the DataKind network on issue areas, such as improving health outcomes through Community Health Workers or increasing financial inclusion. Over a period of five years, DataKind has been granted $20M to make this vision a reality and is looking for people to join them in this journey. You can read more about the new strategy here.
About the Opportunity
As the Manager, Communications, you will play a strategic role supporting DataKind through codifying and building out communication vehicles like newsletters, blog posts, case studies, op-eds, presentations, campaigns, and the DataKind website while working to ensure consistency and clarity of branding and messaging across all internal and external communication. You will work closely with the Head of Communications, specifically creating and managing an internal communications calendar and approval protocols as well redesigning and deploying the website. You will also work to package, share, and promote results and learnings from DataKind’s Impact Practices.
This is an ideal role for a communications professional with experience in communications, journalism, public relations, or social impact.
What You Will Do
The Manager, Communications will be responsible for the following in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager:
- Ensure internal initiatives and projects are successfully communicated to employees.
- Develop communication materials for a variety of internal communications uses, including sourcing information, drafting materials, editing, and publishing a variety of formats.
- Plan, edit, and write content for a variety of internal communications documents and programs that support the organization, such as announcements, newsletters, webcasts, FAQs, fact sheets/one pagers, and talking points.
- Ensure branding and messaging are clear and consistent across functions and geographies.
- Build and maintain a master communications calendar for internal use.
- Advise key communicators on internal communication materials and strategies.
- Identify best practices and emerging strategies within internal communications.
- Draft press releases, op-eds, commentaries, blog posts, case studies, media advisories, email blasts, direct mail, components of grant reports and deliverables, print and digital advertising, media pitches, and any other communications and marketing materials as directed.
- Plan and create the content development, editing, design, production, approvals, distribution, and public relations of all marketing materials.
- Help to cultivate relationships with volunteers, project partners, funders, reporters, conference organizers, and other key audiences to maintain visibility of DataKind’s work and drive impact.
- Craft talking points and messaging for DataKind leaders and outside spokespeople to prepare for events, speaking opportunities, and media interviews.
- Develop marketing materials for the organization, including pitch decks, fact sheets, and one pagers; work with freelancers (designers and copywriters) to fulfill additional promotional needs.
- Develop and manage the website to better support staff and communicate organizational goals.
- Collaborate with the team to identify opportunities to promote the organization on social media channels and when appropriate contribute to the social media content calendar.
- Measure and monitor performance of communications and marketing initiatives to determine potential needs for course correction.
- Maintain oversight of DataKind’s digital analytics, including the website and newsletters.
- Interpret and analyze marketing data and develop recommended strategies and tactics supported by the analytics/findings.
- Partner with team leaders to develop clear objectives and success measures for all communications and marketing initiatives.
How You Will be Measured
At the end of year one, the Manager, Communications will have:
- Developed the communications calendar and cycle, including producing a newsletter and blog posts, and coordinating speaking opportunities (e.g. for the Executive Director).
- Developed (or redesigned as needed) and implemented the processes and approval protocols for copywriting, design, production, editing, and distribution of all marketing materials.
- Redesigned, redeployed, and managed the website to better support staff and communicate organizational goals.
- Identified and implemented best practices to ensure consistency and clarity of branding and messaging across all internal and external communications.
- At least five years working in journalism, communications, marketing, or public relations with a desire to dive in and learn quickly a plus.
- Superior writing skills with the ability to think critically and creatively about different forms of media in light of message, target audience, and delivery.
- Expert in voice and style with experience in brand management.
- Experience working with or writing about the field of data science and AI a plus.
- Familiarity with Mailchimp, Meetup, Eventbrite, and Medium; content management systems also a plus.