DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company’s 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary change makers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. They help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and is sensitive to the ethical considerations they have.
The Next Phase
Thanks to generous long-term support from the Rockefeller Foundation and the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth, they are now focusing the DataKind network on issue areas, such as improving health outcomes through Community Health Workers or increasing financial inclusion. Over a period of five years, DataKind has been granted $20M to make this vision a reality and is looking for people to join them in this journey. You can read more about the new strategy here.
About the Opportunity
As DataKind’s new Director, Operations, reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), you’ll join the Operations team to ensure that DataKind’s day-to-day activities run smoothly in pursuit of their mission. The Operations team is responsible for technology, human resources, administration, legal, and org-wide planning, supporting and interacting with every other team within DataKind. A successful Director, Operations will work closely with the Chief Operating Officer to develop and implement systems that promote organizational growth over the next several years.
The Director, Operations will help to drive interconnectedness across the company by connecting the Global Volunteers team with legal support, designing and ensuring progress against the company dashboard, co-leading annual planning processes which tie DataKind’s mission to their resourcing, and much more. The Manager, Finance and Manager, Human Resources will report to the Director, Operations, so a successful candidate will have a proven record of coaching others to excellence.
What You’ll Do
The Director, Operations will be responsible for the following in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager:
Administration and Operations
- Serve as an advisor to the Chief Operating Officer as well as support her in the execution of cross-departmental activities.
- Develop organization-wide communications and assist the Chief Operating Officer with management of the team calendar, responsibilities, and capacity planning.
- Assist the Executive Team (Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer, and Chief Program Officer) with the annual organizational planning process, developing materials that will aid in linking org-wide priorities, headcount, and budget setting for the attainment of annual goals.
- Assess and address NYC facility needs, including liaising with landlord, brokers, and staff to ensure space is available and appropriate for our particular use.
- Implement systems that ensure NGO/governmental partners across the globe are supported in the contract execution phase for projects originating from headquarters (Product team) or international chapters (Global Volunteers team).
- Create internal processes that improve DataKind’s time and monetary efficiency (e.g. internal communications, financial reporting systems).
- Hire and effectively manage/coach the Manager, Human Resources to:
- Consistently develop a diverse and compelling talent pool for a variety of positions and candidates.
- Assist in interviewing and vetting job candidates.
- Help design organizational-wide training, development opportunities, and career pathways for staff, supporting all employee development programs.
- Lead initiatives on employee benefits, compensation, and other staff improvements.
- Ensure that HR initiatives are closely integrated into business annual plans.
- Help DataKind become a great place to work through a comprehensive and competitive rewards system.
- Prepare for anticipated business and talent threats and opportunities.
Risk and Financial Management
- Manage the Manager, Finance who will:
- Oversee all accounting responsibilities such as financial projections and expense tracking, ensuring that DataKind maintains fiscal responsibility.
- Ensure that DataKind is in compliance with laws and regulations in the countries in which they operate.
- Coordinate with legal counsel to ensure that legal requirements are being fulfilled.
- Build partnerships that enable improved administration.
- Ensure that DataKind has a proper risk management plan in place (e.g. commercial insurance and operating reserves).
How You’ll be Measured
At the end of year one, the Director, Operations will have:
- Developed and maintained company dashboards on at least a quarterly basis.
- Hired a Manager, Human Resources with whom to evaluate and improve DataKind’s rewards and performance management systems.
- Supported the Executive Team, particularly the Chief Operating Officer, around operational efforts needed to fulfill DataKind’s annual goals, including organization of quarterly OKR meetings.
- Improved the materials and systems for the annual planning processes with which all teams interact.
- At least eight years of work experience, with at least three years having led cross-functional teams, preferably in an operations setting.
- Special preference for experience in start-ups, management consulting, operations, or shared services.
- Experience in organizational design, managing up, and leading HR/people processes in a start-up setting a plus.
- Proficiency with Salesforce (or other CRM systems), Google Suite, and Asana (or other project management tools).