DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company’s 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary change makers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. They help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and is sensitive to the ethical considerations they have.
The Next Phase
Thanks to generous long-term support from the Rockefeller Foundation and the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth, they are now focusing the DataKind network on issue areas, such as improving health outcomes through Community Health Workers or increasing financial inclusion. Over a period of five years, DataKind has been granted $20M to make this vision a reality and is looking for people to join them in this journey. You can read more about the new strategy here.
About the Opportunity
The Director, Technology plays a key leadership role at DataKind and for its chapters around the world. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you’ll work collaboratively with the heads of Communications, Product, Business Development, and Global Volunteers to spearhead technology initiatives to support operations, project delivery and optimization, development of DataKind’s website and data backend, and eventually advise on the release of software products to the public. You’ll also be responsible for building and managing DataKind’s tech team, consisting of staff, contractors, and volunteers, as well as creating and implementing best-in-class systems and processes related to data security.
What You’ll Do
The Director, Technology is responsible for the following in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager:
Devise DataKind’s technology strategy
- Develop and oversee technology goals and metrics and coordinate development roadmap, budget, and timelines.
- In concert with senior leaders, develop and implement a new website leveraging the DataKind branding strategy.
- Ensure technical activities are in strategic alignment with the product and business goals.
- Implement consistent tracking, management, and analysis of data on projects and portfolios in support of the Product team.
- Identify creative product opportunities from project experiences across DataKind.
- Identify or develop a volunteer management system in collaboration with the Director, Global Volunteers.
- Leverage Salesforce to create a contract management system that allows DataKind to usher legal agreements through the approval process and help staff adhere to contractual terms.
Streamline and maintain technical services and support for staff and volunteers
- Maintain regulatory, data security, and cybersecurity requirements set by funders, partners, and the jurisdictions in which DataKind operates.
- Update and manage the DataKind helpdesk, providing rapid response technology support to DataKind staff and volunteer leaders.
- Ensure that volunteer data scientists have a seamless experience completing their projects with data, services, and project management tools readily available (e.g. AWS, Slack, Asana, and any custom software needs).
Build and lead the Technology team
- Recruit and develop a team of world-class technologists.
- Build healthy collaboration across a mix of full-time, contract, and volunteer team members.
How You’ll be Measured
At the end of year one, the Director of Technology will have:
- Streamlined and maintained technical services and support for staff and volunteers to include the release of a volunteer management system.
- Reimagined and implemented a new and streamlined website, corresponding hosting platform, and supporting code.
- Partnered with teams across the organization to enable the production and regular maintenance of a company dashboard and Salesforce reporting.
- Adapted Salesforce to provide a contract management system.
- Made major progress in ensuring first-in-class data security systems and protocols across both internal DataKind teams as well as volunteer groups in the field.
- At least eight years working on technical operations and software engineering with at least three years in engineering management, preferably at a growing non-profit with a remote team.
- Experience developing a technology vision and strategy in conversation with senior leadership and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated track record of enhancing, implementing, and enforcing processes to increase operational efficiency. Principled in generating and maintaining software and systems documentation.
- Prior success leading software development, deployment, and operations under significant schedule and budget constraints.
- Familiarity with operational security concepts, modern data science toolkits, platforms, and services, and GDPR and other regulations.
- Preferably experienced in coding and leveraging code from open source locations, and proficiency with any of the following: AWS, Github, WordPress, Python, Postgres, SQL, and Salesforce.
- A Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.