DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company’s 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary change makers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. They help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and is sensitive to the ethical considerations they have.
The Next Phase
Thanks to generous long-term support from the Rockefeller Foundation and the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth, they are now focusing the DataKind network on issue areas, such as improving health outcomes through Community Health Workers or increasing financial inclusion. Over a period of five years, DataKind has been granted $20M to make this vision a reality and is looking for people to join them in this journey. You can read more about the new strategy here.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Director of Product, the Senior Manager will work cross-functionally within DataKind to ensure that all projects are executed with the highest quality standards, whether completed by staff members or their volunteer base across the globe. The Center of Excellence is a newly-created team that will drive innovation and improvement as well as create structures that encourage all members of DataKind to measure, experiment, and share learnings with one another.
The Senior Manager will build and maintain a best-in-class playbook for the organization, outlining the engagement strategy for all data projects across the organization, including DataKind’s chapters. This playbook will not only allow the organization to scale its work over the coming years, but it will also serve as the blueprint for the ways in which all teams at DataKind support data projects. The Senior Manager will be responsible for generating regular reports that promote transparent and shared results around organizational goals, rather than individual departmental metrics. The creation and/or dissemination of shared resources will allow DataKind to surface what’s working best in one region so it can be used more broadly and make the delivery of a positive volunteer experience more consistent.
This is an ideal role for someone with a solutions mindset who has had experience working with a volunteer or multi-site workforce and enjoys codifying practices and coaching/training others.
What You’ll Do
The Senior Manager will be responsible for the following, in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager:
DataKind Systems & Process Codification
- On an ongoing systematic basis for all engagements, ensuring that all current and future systems, processes, success measures, data dissemination, best practices, and collaborators are documented in or are in line with playbook standards.
- Developing Salesforce reporting that allows DataKind to understand program activities, troubleshoot issues, and establish benchmarks across the network.
- Devising and implementing an audit system whereby all projects and communications are assessed for quality, consistency, and compliance to DataKind standards.
- Devising replicable, culturally competent, and engaging trainings that will be delivered synchronously and asynchronously.
- Partnering with the Global Volunteers team to develop a training curriculum for new chapter leaders around the globe.
How You’ll be Measured
At the end of year one, the Senior Manager will have:
- Created, distributed, and started managing an internal playbook, which will include templates on how to develop, launch, and manage DataKind’s impact practice: DataCorps, DataDives, and community-based events like DataJams and meet-ups, as well as branded collateral.
- Created and implemented systematic trainings on the playbook for volunteer chapters.
- Created an internal auditing process of data engagements, serving as the vetting process for quality, impact, and efficiency based on playbook standards.
- A bachelor’s degree with five to seven years of work experience; at least three years of experience in complex project management across multiple time zones/continents/countries.
- Experience managing, training, coaching, and working with a global volunteer or multi-site workforce strongly preferred; background in curriculum and instruction ideal.
- Knowledge and understanding of data science and its applications, and strong ability to discuss it among project teams and recommend related resources.
- Experience using Salesforce or other CRM systems a plus.