ABOUT COLOR OF CHANGE
Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. As a national online force driven by over one million members, we move decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America. We activate our members to take action on crucial issues–from criminal justice to media representations to the social safety net and voter freedom–so that we can build the power necessary to transform the written and unwritten rules of society. Our work – both rapid response and long-term campaigns for change – amplifies the voices of Black folks and our allies, building power and delivering meaningful wins that create consequences for racial injustice and build momentum for implementing solutions that move Black people and all people forward.
The Marketing & Storytelling team creates and leads the brand and content strategy necessary to translate and advance Color Of Change’s values, vision, and efforts across a broad set of national influencers and grassroots activists. Through various platforms and mediums, the team is responsible for supporting efforts across the organization to deliver on our main promise: provoking the level and frequency of action from our members and allies that will force target decision-makers to take action, and thereby achieve real-world impact and lasting, systemic change. The team is also responsible for brand management, strategic content development, content distribution, and high-level media relations. Central to the Marketing & Storytelling team’s work is Color Of Change’s Hollywood Culture Project, an initiative designed to change the way Black people (and the issues we care about) are represented in entertainment media and to effectively leverage cultural influencers in support of our campaigns.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Social Media and Content, the Deputy Senior Social Media and Content Director will help manage the department team, lead the longer-term strategic initiatives that elevate campaign issues, and manage special projects that grow Color Of Change’s brand reach.
- With the direction of and in collaboration with the team lead, own the development of strong, longer-term strategic plans for the team. Develop proposals that illustrate strong theories of change and use both proven and experimental online and offline tactics to help grow Color Of Change’s brand reach, engagement, membership, and conversions.
- Oversee campaign, project and platform launches to ensure goals, promotional processes and deadlines are met successfully
- Manage external social media content partnerships with the goal of extending audience reach including building online influencer and brand campaigns and activations
- Work closely with the digital team to communicate, develop and deploy successful online advertising campaigns around priority content and initiatives
- Point on all content operations for the team, including but not limited to maintaining overall editorial calendars and planning documents
- Scrutinize social media content across all platforms for quality, tone, and further storytelling opportunities
- Oversee a team of three social media and content managers that write and post content for social platforms including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube
- Help direct support staff including graphic designers, video, and audio production teams, artists and content creators, as well as project plans as needed to achieve team goals
- Have managed and executed paid efforts on social channels
- Experience in managing staff
- Outstanding written and oral communications and presentations skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills. You are confident in interacting with other staff, external partners, organizations, and consultants.
- Top-notch organization skills. There’s a lot to keep track of in this role, and nothing can fall through the cracks. Managing multiple priorities, timeliness, and attention to detail is key.
- Ability to effectively use a Black/racial justice frame of reference to write strong and persuasive strategic plans and proposals
- A commitment to civil rights and racial justice.
- Experience with labor or community organizing is a plus.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should click the “Apply for this position” link and submit a resume, a cover letter, and links to a portfolio or website. If links to a portfolio or website are not available, please provide samples of content across social channels and/or platforms.
Applications will be received on a rolling basis.
The salary for the Deputy Senior Social Media and Content Director is $130,000. This is a full-time exempt position. Color Of Change also offers a competitive benefits package.
Color Of Change (COC) is an equal opportunity employer. COC prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.