The Finance Director role is focused on enabling Digital Green’s in a critical phase of its evolution. This role is tasked with overseeing all financial and accounting operations for Digital Green and ensuring that Digital Green operates in a fiscally sound manner. This role involves taking a systematic approach to finance, accounting, budgets, statutory compliance, external/donor audits and providing regional support and coordination. This role also requires close partnership and collaboration with internal teams and stakeholders with the goal of supporting the optimization of financial resources entrusted to the organization for public benefit.
Responsibilities and Duties
Manage the design and implementation of improved budgeting and accounting systems, policies, and processes for Digital Green
- Support in finalizing our cost allocation policies and methodologies and lead implementation across the global team
- Develop and implement new chart of accounts for Digital Green to support new cost allocation and enable improved financial analysis as the organization grows and evolves
- Develop and implement new budgeting methodology
- Working closely with Compliance & HR teams, support in launch of new time-sheeting system and ensure appropriate flow into financial system
- Spearhead review and possible transition of Digital Green’s accounting software to enable greater efficiency and analytical capabilities.
- Coach regional finance and admin teams to ensure comprehension and compliance with the new systems, policies, and processes
Accounting & Statutory Compliance
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with country standards, appropriate Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, regulatory requirements, and Office of Management and Budget audit requirements.
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with external donor and statutory practices and internal financial and accounting policies and procedures
- Partner with compliance team to identify and map key risk areas
- Oversee audit and tax reporting functions in the US and globally, including preparation of 990s and external audit reports. Coordinate other fiscal compliance activities with outside audit firms.
- Working with internal compliance team and external lawyers, manage in-country bank accounts and registrations
Financial Planning & Analysis
- Working with leaders across the organization, facilitate discussions to define budget priorities and allocate resources most effectively to achieve programmatic goals
- Prepare annual budget for approval by Board of Directors, working closely with Global Leadership Group as well as Country & Project Leaders to ensure alignment with organizational goals.
- Coordinate, analyze and report the financial performance, budgets and projections to Management and Board of Directors.
- Provide resource and budget support to leaders to ensure they meet their financial goals
- Manage cash flow and forecasting.
- Prepare short and long-term financial forecasts of financial performance for use with internal management and external parties
- Develop effective methodology for development of financial application for grants
- Oversee and ensure accurate and timely financial reporting on existing grants
- Monitor funding source requirements and reporting
- Support in reviewing contracts and managing relationships with donors and sub-recipients
Finance Team Oversight
- Coach and mentor the accounting & finance staff across locations, providing leadership and guidance to achieve a high level of operational excellence.
- Partner with Human Resources on matters pertaining to compensation, workforce planning and payroll processing.
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA or CPA preferred
- 10+ years experience in Finance and Accounting
- 5 years experience in Nonprofit Accounting
- Demonstrated knowledge of GAAP; ability to prepare, analyze and present financial statements.
- Experience with USG regulations and working with USAID funded projects
- Solid knowledge and understanding of inter-company accounting.
- Experienced in overseeing a multi-faceted program, knowledgeable about best practices managing nonprofit business and finance
- Excellent skills in financial planning & analysis
- Ability to present information effectively and respond to questions from different internal and external audiences.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail required.
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency in Excel and Quickbooks