The #1 reason survivors stay in or return to abuse is because they can’t afford to leave or stay safe. FreeFrom, a Los Angeles-based organization with a national agenda, is working to dismantle the nexus between gender-based violence and financial insecurity so that survivors can thrive and live free from abuse.
FreeFrom uses new technology, social enterprise models, policy advocacy, and cross-sector collaborations to respond to the financial needs of survivors. We take a holistic, 3-pronged approach to our work:
- Capacity Building / B2B – Integrating financial capacity building services into the existing movement against gender-based violence.
- Innovation / B2C – Providing financial capacity building services directly to survivors through technology and innovation.
- Systems Change – Removing structural obstacles to survivors’ financial security.
Visit our website to learn more about FreeFrom – www.freefrom.org
FREEFROM’S WORK CULTURE:
FreeFrom is a proudly queer, feminist and people of color-led organization. Our staff includes survivors who bring unique experiences, insights, and a drive to our work to end the cycles of violence. Our work is tailored to meet the needs of diverse communities of survivors, understanding that by making programming accessible to the most marginalized folks, our work is all the more effective for everyone.
FreeFrom is a start-up with a culture of innovation. So, we are constantly iterating and evolving as we work. However, our dedication to healthy collaboration, personal and professional growth, and wellness remains constant. We work remotely all over LA and when we meet, we share a co-working space. On a typical FreeFrom office day, you can find us: sharing our wins, challenges, and ideas for innovation; wearing stuffed animal slippers; sipping on tea, water, and coffee; talking astrology, art, literature, movies, healing, new research, and feel-good things; taking breaks to play with our tiniest officemate (an 11-month old baby); testing tech, local food, client products, and theories; and collaborating on exciting projects.
DIRECTOR OF DATA AND RESEARCH
FreeFrom is looking for a deeply committed, dynamic, motivated, and creative Director of Data and Research to join our team. This individual will work closely with our program directors and CEO to develop and implement approaches to gather, maintain, analyze and present strategic data to support our programs and measure our impact.
This individual will also work closely with the Director of Law & Policy to gather, analyze, synthesize, and present the data we collect from our online self-help Compensation Compass to support our systems change work.
The ideal candidate for this position is someone who thinks critically, collaboratively, and creatively about data and how it can be harnessed to advance social justice.
- Working closely with CEO and program directors to develop and implement data collection and analysis strategies to support FreeFrom’s programs and measure impact;
- Identifying areas where data is lacking and developing strategies to fill such gaps;
- Developing, fostering, and maintaining partnerships with other organizations as necessary to enrich data collection and analysis;
- Conducting data analysis needed to support programs and measure impact;
- Presenting data and conclusions in an accessible, attractive, creative, and compelling way;
- Developing and implementing research proposals that further the work and measure impact;
- Monitoring relevant research and data analysis in the U.S. and internationally; and
- Creating new approaches to data collection and analysis that will advance the movement against domestic and gender-based violence.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- Statistics / data analysis background (academic or other professional experience);
- Proven ability to present data in an accessible and compelling way;
- Proven ability to develop and successfully implement a strategy to gather, analyze, synthesize and present data and conclusions;
- Strong people skills, emotional intelligence, and ability to collaborate and work well with others;
- Outstanding speaking and interpersonal communication skills (written and oral);
- Proven commitment to advancing social justice (experience working in the movement against domestic or gender-based violence a plus);
- Must bring enthusiasm, creativity, patience, and flexibility to the work;
- Excellent organizational skills, with high accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to work quickly and adapt to evolving strategies and circumstances;
- Comfortable with taking risks and otherwise bucking trends and traditional approaches;
- Commitment to FreeFrom’s mission, innovation, and the highest standards of professionalism; and
- Strong advocacy skills and an egalitarian, feminist, survivor-centered philosophy.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send descriptive cover letter, resume, sample visual representation of data analysis and conclusions that you contributed to (for example: infographic, report or study conclusions, etc.), as well as 3 professional references to Sonya Passi, Founder and CEO via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org in a single PDF attachment. Please include your name and preferred pronouns in all documents.
Folks who are queer, trans, non-binary, people of color, parents, are / have been system impacted, have different abilities, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and gender-based violence are encouraged to apply.
We also encourage you to apply if this job sounds like a good fit for you and vice versa, even if you don’t feel as if you meet all the qualifications / requirements.
- Applications reviewed on rolling basis, beginning on October 1, 2019
- Anticipated start date: November 1, 2019
POSITION REPORTS TO