Title: Uganda Rolling Associate Field Manager, Internal Audit
Reports to: Country Director
Location: Bukedea, Eastern Uganda
Duration: Short contract
Background: GiveDirectly is driving a re-evaluation of the norms underlying international philanthropy with a provocative model: we deliver donations directly to the extreme poor and let them decide what to do with them. This approach builds on two converging trends: the rapid spread of electronic last-mile payments solutions in emerging markets, and the large body of experimental evidence showing that direct transfers are as or more cost-effective at reducing poverty than traditional, top-down approaches. GiveDirectly’s field operations utilize state-of-the-art technologies and business processes to deliver unconditional cash transfers securely, efficiently, and transparently. Our unorthodox approach – allowing the poor, and not the donor, to choose where they invest – has prompted debate in the popular press and among policy makers.
Role Overview: The Uganda Rolling Associate Field Manager (UGR-AFM) will play a central role in ensuring that GiveDirectly delivers a gold-standard product to donors and recipients. The Associate Field Manager will manage the Internal Audit Field Officers (IA/FOs) based in field. The Associate Field Manager will serve as the key “eyes and ears” resource on the ground for the Country Director (CD) and will be responsible for regularly synthesizing updates on team performance as well as field successes and challenges. The role will reward exceptional personnel management, organizational skills, high-quality judgment on operational challenges, and a strong commitment towards driving both team and individual productivity and quality.
The individual in this position will be responsible for:
- Tracking IA/FO productivity & quality of deliverables, including reviewing operational reports, and discussing team and individual performance with the CD.
- Identifying opportunities for risk mitigation and keeping the CD Informed of the required key process improvements.
- Coaching FOs on challenges that come up in the field. Providing additional case-specific input as requested by FOs. Exercising judgment and escalating recurring issues or questions to CD to align on approach.
- Shadowing staff in order to identify areas for improvement and professional development, particularly during staff training.
- Developing daily work plans and leading the execution, as well as submitting and managing the expense requests of the field team incurred thereof.
- Providing the lead in examining the quality of Field team data against set GD data quality standards and report any cases of inconsistency.
- Reporting any identified cases of fraud and bribery by GD staff and or recipient(s).
- A good and relevant Degree to the position. Work experience in Monitoring and Evaluation will be an added advantage.
- Fluency in English and Ateso with excellent communication skills.
- Exceptional leadership ability with demonstrated success in motivating and developing junior staff.
- Exceptional ability to solve complex operational challenges in the field and ability to work in MS Excel.
- Alignment with GiveDirectly’s core values and commitment to advancing GD’s mission.
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, and team-player mentality.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly independent and self-directed manner, while effectively communicating upwardly about gaps and risks.
- Strong communication and relationship building skills and the ability to represent the organization effectively to external parties.
If you believe your experience and qualifications fit the specifications of this role: Please submit a CV through the link below [NOTE: does not request for any form of payment from its job applicants, please be aware of fraudsters and notify us if requested for money]