Gooru (www.gooru.org) is a Bay Area-based nonprofit committed to building an open and collaborative online community of educators, learners, partners, and developers to facilitate personalized learning for every student. Gooru has developed a Learning Navigator — a “GPS” for learning. Gooru empowers students by providing them with insights into their strengths and gaps in learning, information on what has worked for students like them, and access to crowd-sourced courses from amazing teachers around the world. Teachers curate standards aligned online K-12 courses of digital resources and assessments to create learning pathways customized for their class, and publish their courses to an open, global community.
In November of 2014, Gooru was presented at The Tech Awards with the Microsoft Education Award. In the awards ceremony, they recognized the organization’s innovation in education and featured an inspiring story about a Gooru teacher and student. Gooru was founded by Prasad “Pram” Ram in 2011 and had been supported by leading foundations and philanthropists. As a 501(c)(3) non-profit, Gooru has and always will be a mission-focused organization whose products are free of cost and ads. Although it is a not-for-profit entity, Gooru’s culture is similar to that of many tech start-ups. For more information about Gooru’s solution and impact with students, review the Gooru Overview or visit our website (about.gooru.org).
About the Role
The Program Manager will be responsible for program design, development, implementation, monitoring and research. In the near term, the Program Manager will be responsible for the Navigate Math Program. You must be passionate and determined to be part of the solution by ensuring students and teachers have access to high quality learning opportunities in order to achieve positive learning outcomes.
Programs at Gooru include working with schools to leverage a combination of personalized learning and key instructional practices. Teachers leverage quality instructional practices like Live Assessments to build effective habits of success with their students, to increase their self-confidence, and to develop a growth mindset. Your ability to project manage and execute is vital to ensuring educators and students have access to excellent curated content and best practices for implementation to achieve outcomes. Key activities will include designing the program, developing key resources supporting the program including training materials, implementing the program, monitoring ongoing progress, assessing where changes and improvements need to be made, and conducting research.
You will collaborate with university faculty members and graduate students to conduct meaningful research to monitor student progress to determine the level of program and system effectiveness. You will support the writing and publishing of scholarly research and white papers to disseminate the learnings from the program with the greater educational community.
- BS/BA in Education or a related field
- 5+ years as a classroom teacher
- Strong organization skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills
- Willingness to travel as needed to train educators
- Ability to self-motivate, multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- MEd/MAEd in Curriculum & Instruction or Math Education or related field
- Experience teaching in a 1:1 environment leveraging digital learning opportunities for students
- Understanding of principles of curriculum development and design
- Experience designing training materials and leading professional development for teachers and school leaders
- Previous opportunities managing complex projects from start to finish
- Experience conducting academic research studies professionally or at the graduate level