At Hack Club, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, we’re building a giant video game, but instead of being made out of bits and code, it’s made out of teenagers. And instead of pushing players to get a high score, Hack Club helps teenagers learn to code, build the most meaningful friendships of their lives, and develop strong identities to become the future leaders our world needs.
Alongside the soccer players, theater kids, and band geeks, we aspire to create and foster a new type of teenager: the teenage hacker. Our goal: to become as ubiquitous, as universal, and as culturally foundational for young people today as the Girl and Boy Scouts were 70 years ago.
Title: Hack Club Bank Operations Lead
Hack Club Bank is our in-house financial software used by 1,500 Hack Clubbers to financially power their Hack Clubs, hackathons, and student-organized nonprofits. When teenagers use Hack Club Bank, we act as their backing financial and legal entity, allowing them to leverage our 501(c)(3) nonprofit status to receive donations and use our beautiful in-house software to manage and spend their funds.
As our 7th full-time staff member, your role will be to end-to-end own the human operations essential to Hack Club Bank’s success, including onboarding video calls with new Hack Clubbers signing up, daily backend transaction categorization and management through our custom software, and providing a world-class customer success experience over Slack and email to Hack Clubbers. In addition to yourself, in this role you will lead 3 current part-time Hack Clubbers – and grow this team – to help you accomplish Hack Club Bank’s human operations.
In addition to leading human operations to provide a world-class and reliable experience for Hack Clubbers, you’ll also work closely with engineering to help identify and design new features for Bank.
You will have autonomy in how you make Hack Clubbers happy and how you manage the operations team for maximum impact. A formal list of your responsibilities would be something like:
- End-to-end owning onboarding new Hack Clubbers onto Bank, from designing and maintaining the application flow, to reviewing and making decisions on new applications, to running interview and onboarding video calls, to designing and executing the contract signing flow.
- Daily backend transaction categorization and management. Money doesn’t move in Hack Club Bank without human approval and you and your team will be the humans-in-the-loop on all transactions.
- Providing a world-class customer success experience to Hack Clubbers who reach out over Slack and email for help using Bank.
- Leading our student operations team, having daily communication with them, and organizing them for efficient and impactful work. This team has grown Bank from 0 to almost 1,600 users and almost $1 million raised.
- Designing our support systems and processes to more quickly and more meaningfully serve Bank users.
- Thinking ahead, plan, and identify process improvements and product improvements that can be implemented through a combination of human and software effort.
- Be the top point of contact for all things Bank.
And a bit of what we suspect you’ll be like:
- You are extremely relationship and service oriented. You care deeply about providing a world-class experience to those you work with. Perhaps you have a background in hospitality.
- Though you don’t need to know how to code for this role, you’re inspired by computers and perhaps cryptocurrency. Perhaps you wrote HTML for Neopets when you were growing up, wrote fan fiction on AO3 as a teenager, or have built your own computer.
- You love identifying problems, then systematically breaking them down into smaller pieces, so that they can be better solved.
- You like finding out about new technologies and then dream about ways to use them in a productive way.
- You embody the values of a model Hack Clubber: collaborative, kind, high integrity, helpful, and curious.
- You have the traits of a patient friend: always encouraging, helping calmly when others might be discouraged, and genuinely wanting to make someone’s life a little happier from your interactions.
- You have experience organizing others, whether that be in an official role or an unofficial role.
- You’re excited to work 1:1 with teenagers every day.
Location: We have an in-person office in Burlington, Vermont where four of us work collaboratively. This is an in-person role, though this position can temporarily start remotely during COVID with relocation assistance provided.
To apply, email us at email@example.com with “through the looking glass” in the subject line. We don’t think we’ll be able to identify this person just by looking at their resume, so please include 300-400 words on your background relative to this role and why you’re interested.
And last, some details on compensation. This role pays between $45K – $55K, depending on your experience—and as a nonprofit we know that’s probably less than you’d make elsewhere. We offer healthcare and 4 weeks paid vacation.
– Christina Asquith, COO, Scott Motte, Engineering Manager for Hack Club Bank, and Zach Latta, Executive Director
P.S. If you’re technical, you can apply by running
$ ssh jobs.hackclub.com in your terminal.