Harmony Labs is on a mission to understand media influence at scale, and to experiment with using media to support an open, resilient, democratic society. Our community of researchers, practitioners, and industry partners is building basic knowledge and applied solutions to help get ahead of pressing media systems challenges, like business models that favor engagement over accuracy, partisan polarization, and information wars fought with manipulated media.
The Software Engineer will be part of a remote team of engineers building a data ingestion, processing, and analysis platform that unites media data from television, news, radio, and other sources.
What You Will Do
- Design and implement robust, accurate application architectures using AWS managed services, Kubernetes, Terraform, Python, and Go
- Design and implement user interfaces for internal and external facing applications
- Develop application code for data synchronization from external partners
- Develop application code for automated data processing and analysis
- Define and implement engineering support processes for our Harmony Labs staff, Research Network partners, and external project partners
Who you Are
- You are comfortable working as part of a fully remote engineering team
- You are excited to build great software in support of our mission and research partners
- You are eager to work directly with researchers and data scientists to help them discover and define their needs
- You value collaboration and the varied perspectives enabled by a diverse team
- You are able to manage your own time and work with other developers across multiple time zones
- This is a mid- or senior-level position, 5+ years of professional software development experience is preferred but not strictly required
- You have experience managing infrastructure as code, preferably within one of the major cloud computing providers
- You have experience with Python or Go, or are excited by the idea of picking up new languages
Technologies You’ll Use
- Managed databases, queueing systems, and other services inside Amazon Web Services
- Automated testing, continuous integration, and continuous delivery systems
How to Apply
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Software Engineer Application.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Employer-paid medical, vision, and dental insurance benefits
- Unlimited paid time off (that everyone is encouraged to use)
- 12 weeks paid parental leave
- 401k with contribution matching
Broad perspectives are fundamental to serving society and diverse experiences are the key to innovation, collaboration, and awareness of the globalized context in which we live. We strongly encourage people from backgrounds currently underrepresented in tech to apply and look forward to welcoming the best candidate to our team regardless of their national origin, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or protected veteran status.
About Harmony LABS
Harmony Labs is a New York City based 501(c)(3) nonprofit that has evolved from nearly a decade of research and prototyping, in partnership with and/or funded by leading organizations like Google, The Ford Foundation, The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, MTV, and Columbia University.