Build Up seeks exceptional candidates with a strong background in software engineering,
social media data analysis and building innovative technical tools .
We are seeking a freelance Software Engineer to support our team in building a suite of social
media analysis tools for peacebuilders. This project will require a robust, modular and scalable
data architecture, automated processes to help with bulk data processing, development of
tools to help researchers analyze the data, and output visualizations and network maps. The
engineer will join our technology and research teams in the development, and deployment of
these tools, focusing specifically on the back-end architectural requirements and QA needs of
An ideal candidate shares a commitment to contributing to non-violent change, and an interest
in digital peacebuilding. We welcome people from all ages, genders, races, backgrounds,
abilities, sexual orientations and skill sets because we aim to deepen our work as a team
through also reflecting the diversity of our world. We are actively recruiting for diversity, and
are especially interested in candidates who are people of color and candidates who are people
This position requires access to a strong, reliable internet connection, but has no geographic
Contract duration : 6 months, part-time (March 1 – August 31, 2021)
We expect candidates to be available for up to 20 hours of work per week for the duration of
the contract. We are unable to accept candidates who already have a full-time position.
● Design and build the back end server architecture for a cloud-based social media
● Lead the testing framework to validate the software, including unit testing and other
necessary QA tasks.
● Contribute to code reviews and technical documentation of the code and platform.
● Accompany the social media platform through the development cycle, testing and early
● Care for data security needs arising from legal requirements for data handling and
We have additional interest in candidates who:
● Show a clear track record of engaging with the full software product development
pipeline from design to deployment.
● Have a familiarity with the following tools: Python, Flask, PostgreSQL, Docker, Redis.
● Have experience with modular programming approaches.
● Have experience with cloud-based software as a service (SaaS) models
● Have familiarity with serverless architecture and Amazon Web Services
● Have contributed in a similar fashion to other social media data projects or similarly
structured data analysis projects.
● Show an interest in peace & conflict studies, polarization, social media, and other facets
of this issue area.
The desired candidate:
● Has 2+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
● Possesses a Graduate degree or equivalent in Computer Science.
● Shows willingness and flexibility to assume different roles on ambitious projects
carried out by a small & diverse team.
● Is curious, creative and has a self-motivated, participatory work approach.
● Is committed to peace and participatory processes.
● Is values-aligned with a non-hierarchical, global, diverse organization.
Please send your CV and a 1-2 page cover letter to email@example.com by February 26,
2021. The letter should outline why you are a good fit to this position and include a simple