The position Volunteer Journalist (own-time) is a position that will hold membership in IVolunteer International’s Writer’s Council. The Writer’s Council consists of volunteer writers who share researched information and/or opinion about social service, humanitarian affairs, and news related to the social service industry. The position is an “own-time” position, which means that the tasks allocated to you must be completed on your own time on or before the deadline. This is an unpaid, volunteer position without any financial compensation. The position is open to citizens of any country.
- Establish a forum of authors who would contribute relevant content to the blog of the organization and support the vision and mission of IVolunteer International with their writings.
- Compiling content to inspire and encourage volunteerism and spread awareness about innovative solutions to tackle global issues.
- Understand the vision and mission of IVolunteer International and the Writer’s Council.
- Have very strong communication skills (reliability, response time) and have access to communication software such as Skype, Whatsapp, and reliable access to the internet to use other software such as email, Google Drive etc.
- Have intermediary experience and knowledge of Google Drive, Google Documents, WordPress and Microsoft Office.
- Be able to author stories about events taking place, compile research articles about humanitarian events, and share opinions about different youth-led or youth-centered decisions in the nonprofit, volunteerism, and social service industry.
- Have an excellent command of the English language in writing and speaking.
- Have an ability to produce draft write-ups/stories or showcase a previous personal portfolio of the work and be able to participate in telephonic and/or virtual interviews before selection.
- A proven willingness and ability to meet deadlines.
- A proven ability to act as a representative of IVolunteer International to attend meetings and conduct interviews.
- Have basic soft skills and leadership qualities to work together in a team.
- Research on any topic of interest (relating to volunteerism, humanitarian events) and author researched articles.
- Be able to cover events in the local community and interview important figureheads as requested.
- Produce a minimum of three articles per month (ideally, 2 articles on any subject matter, 1 article covering an event).
All stories authored must be of your own work. If needed, the content including information and images must be appropriately cited. No previously copyrighted material is allowed to be in your work. All authors must have a serious understanding of ethics in journalism and plagiarism.
Commitment & Contract
A commitment of a minimum of 10 hours a month to draft articles is expected of an author. The timeframe could vary depending on the subject matter covered in the article. If it’s an interview or event coverage, significant time ought to be spent. All articles published under your name will be added to your personal portfolio, but IVolunteer International will own all published material. The authors are not restricted to a particular format of writing. Prior to publishing an article, it will be reviewed in order to validate the content and rectify any errors. An author also has the freedom to network with other authors of the council and produce an article of a collaborative effort.
Recognition & Benefits
- The opportunity to partner and network with high-level representatives from other internationally operative and recognized nonprofit organizations, government agencies, and humanitarian organizations around the world as an official representative of IVolunteer International
- The ability to maintain a professional portfolio of all your published material on the IVolunteer International’s website at your disposal.
- The possible opportunities of applying and attending national and international seminars, workshops, and other events as an official representative of IVolunteer International.
- A letter of recognition at the end of each contract or as request by you from the organization.
- The ability to enhance your skills by using IVolunteer International’s softwares and platforms such as WordPress, Hootsuite, Google Drive, and other software as relevant and related.