JustFix.nyc is seeking an experienced engineer to join us on our mission to build 21st century tools for New Yorkers struggling from the housing crisis.
At JustFix.nyc, we have spent the past two years building technology for housing justice. Our webapp for tenants with repair issues has been used by thousands of families across the city to document their situations and build strong legal cases. Our advocate dashboard, in use by over 40 community organizations and legal services, connects those in need with advocacy and community organizing services anywhere in the City. We’re currently working with Open Data to develop groundbreaking new ways to identify patterns of displacement and target some of the city’s worst slumlords.
We work regularly with policymakers, attorneys, organizers, and tenants directly in order to take a systems-level approach to one of the most pressing issues faced by low income New Yorkers. Our impact is measured not in stakeholder profit but in terms of wrongful evictions avoided, tenant unions created, and repairs made. This is an opportunity to work at the forefront of civic technology and to affect meaningful change through software engineering, human-centered design, and legal innovation.
You will be our first dedicated engineer (alongside Dan, a co-founder who has developed the platform to date) with a unique opportunity to take a leadership stake in our technology at a critical time as we scale our services and begin to integrate with official NYC systems. You will join a larger community of activists, data scientists, and community organizers who are creating new models of urban studies and civic technology. This is a chance to build and design across a spectrum of accessibility and internet connectivity, presenting unique engineering challenges. You’ll also be able to engage directly with users on a regular basis and help to design a larger platform that has generated interest from other cities across the country.
- 3+ years of full-stack development experience. We’re looking for someone who has deep experience in inventing, building, shipping, and maintaining complex full-stack codebases (emphasis on back-end, particularly in Django and/or Node.js)
- Interest in stepping into other roles (dev ops, data science, sysadmin) as the situation dictates
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills – we are a small team that works together closely. You should be self-starting and motivated to build things on your own.
- Experience with building in a startup environment (either an actual startup, or an entrepreneurial situation within a larger organization)
- Computer science degree, or strong enough fundamentals learned elsewhere that you could fool us
- Local to NYC and driven toward our mission / desire to build something that makes an impact.
Nice to have:
- Experience building consumer mobile products
- Experience working with UX and visual designers, or have practiced UX fundamentals yourself
- Interest in civic technology and civic service design
- Experience building data visualizations and working with mapping software
- Something in your personal story that draws you to what we’re building
Other areas of interest:
- Open source tech! Check out our github.
- Civic hacking and liberating new data from old institutions
- Parsing + sanitizing open datasets with Python
- Carto + PostGIS work
- Data visualization (d3) + mapping (leaflet, OSM)
- Developing analytics, instrumentation, and testing suites
JustFix.nyc is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
Read more about us: