JustFix.nyc is seeking an experienced User Experience Designer to join us on our mission to build technology that serves working class New Yorkers. We are building a open-source platform that allows tenants to build legal cases, connect with community organizers, and fight back against displacement.
Compensation is competitive and will include salary and full health/vision/dental insurance. Our dog-friendly (and people-friendly!) office is based in Brooklyn, NY.
At JustFix.nyc, we have been building technology for housing justice for the past four years. Our web-app for tenants with repair issues has been used by thousands of families across the city to document their situations and build strong legal cases. Our advocate services, in use by over 40 community organizations and legal services, connects those in need with advocacy and community organizing services anywhere in the City. We’re currently working with open data to develop groundbreaking new ways to identify patterns of displacement and target some of the city’s worst slumlords.
You will be joining our growing product team at a critical time as we continue our tenant-driven design process to evolve and scale our services both in NYC and in cities across the country. You will join a larger community of technologists, organizers, data scientists, and policymakers who are creating new models of civic technology and digital organizing. This is a chance to build and design across a spectrum of accessibility and internet connectivity, presenting unique design challenges.
Read more about us:
- Own full stack design projects, starting with research, developing initial wireframes, prototyping, user testing, and producing high fidelity mocks.
- Champion our design philosophy and principles (in line with the Design Justice Principles), ensuring these are consistently applied to every product and experience we build.
- Collaborate with our Director of Product, engineers, program staff, and external partners to contribute to a product strategy that helps us achieve our goals.
- Contribute to our user research capabilities and participatory processes to ensure that we have the knowledge we need to make informed product decisions.
- Take an uncompromising stance on designing for full accessibility.
- 3+ years experience as a UX, product, or interaction designer, with at least part of that focused on consumer software.
- Demonstrated expertise in defining mobile consumer product strategy that moves metrics. You have played core roles on teams that have shipped successful consumer products.
- Deep experience with user research throughout the product life cycle, and an understanding of the role that research and user testing should play.
- Excellent communication skills. You can bring internal stakeholders on your design journey and defend your decisions with data.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills – we are a small team that works together closely. You should be self-starting and motivated to start things on your own.
- Local to NYC and driven toward our mission / desire to build something that makes an impact.
Nice to have:
- Interest in civic technology
- A passion for social justice and being a part of a larger movement fighting for safe, healthy, and affordable housing.
- Working with data visualization and mapping platforms (d3.js, CARTO, Leaflet, etc)
- Experience with building in a startup environment (either an actual startup, or an entrepreneurial situation within a larger organization)
- Something in your personal story that draws you to what we’re building
JustFix.nyc is a Brooklyn-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit that builds tools for tenants and advocates fighting displacement. Our technology enables tenants to take action on issues of apartment disrepair and landlord harassment as well as connect with community-based organizing and advocacy efforts.
We’re a team of 8 full-time staff supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Open Society Foundations, New York Community Trust, and many others. We are proud to work with a network of over 40 community-based organizations, legal service providers, and other partner organizations who collectively serve tens of thousands of tenants every year. We have been featured by the New York Times, ABC News, NBC Universal, Nonprofit Quarterly, Shelterforce, Gothamist, and Fast Company.
JustFix.nyc is committed to equity and fostering a community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, particularly from those who we aim to serve. We actively seek a diverse pool of applicants from, or who have worked closely with, historically marginalized groups, including but not limited to people with disabilities, people of color, LGBTQ people, first- or second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.