Khan Academy is looking for passionate software engineers to help change education – join us on our mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
We’ve built a talented development team with engineers from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Mozilla, Pixar, and Intuit, as well as folks from tiny startups and developers from non-traditional backgrounds. Together, we’re a team that is deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
As an engineer at Khan Academy, you’ll help learners build mastery regardless of where they are, and regardless of whether they are accessing KA on the browser, on Android, or on iOS. You’ll create new, impactful ways for teachers and students to use online learning in the classroom. You’ll work on the content creation and translation tools that we rely on to expand our library of world-class educational content and bring it to an international audience. You’ll help build cutting-edge infrastructure to enable students of all backgrounds to succeed on high-stakes assessments like the SAT and LSAT. Ultimately, you’ll be part of helping millions of learners around the world unlock their full potential.
Our mobile team will grow in 2018. If you’re looking for a faster timeline, please consider our immediate openings.
What you’ll do:
- Take on world-changing challenges guided by our Engineering Principles – some of which have never been solved before.
- Model problems, then design, write, test and release code to solve them!
- Collaborate with your peers via code reviews to level up yourself and others, to improve your ability to provide effective feedback, and to achieve higher quality code.
- Ship products with a cross-functional team of engineers, designers, analysts and product managers.
- Build using technology that is best suited to solving problems for our learners. Currently, we build with React Native, GraphQL, Swift and Java.
- Contribute to open source! We ❤ open source, and we give back to the community whenever we can.
- Work on code that is used by millions of monthly active learners from all over the .
You can read about our latest work on our Engineering Blog. A few highlights:
- Building a Really, Really Small Android App
- Automating App Store Screenshots
- Migrating to a Mobile Monorepo for React Native
- Tips for giving your first code reviews
- Working remotely
- Excitement about helping Khan Academy bring a free, world-class education to the world.
- Eagerness to learn, educate, write code, and build products used by millions of learners and teachers.
- Experience building and maintaining complex software. You’ll join us in writing clean, maintainable software that solves hard problems. You’ll write testable, quality code. You’ll push the team and the mission forward with your contributions.
- Strong communication, thoughtfulness, and desire to give and receive regular feedback – including the ability to work in tight-knit teams that flourish from communicating regularly.
- Strong desire to help define and implement development best practices across the organization.
- Experience breaking apart complex problems into tangible, understandable units – and then creating actionable solutions for each of them.
- An interest in mentoring other developers and interns: lifting them up, educating them, and finding ways for them to succeed.
- Empathy for learners around the world. You love learning and are excited about helping others learn to love learning. You’re motivated to learn new things and share what you learn with the world.
You don’t need:
- We don’t require experience in any particular technology. Our commitment to on-boarding and mentorship means you won’t be left in the dark as you learn new technologies. That said, having knowledge of React Native would be a huge plus.