Kiva (www.kiva.org) is an innovative non-profit focused on connecting people through lending to alleviate poverty and create opportunity. We run a global marketplace platform for crowdfunded microloans that serves the financially excluded. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to address poverty at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: “Loans that change lives.” In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.1 billion in loan capital for 2.7 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide.
Since its founding, volunteerism has been an integral part of Kiva’s foundation and success. As a Kiva Intern, you will contribute your passion, drive, ideas and expertise to expanding our reach and impact while taking on immediate and significant responsibilities within their teams. In addition to learning on the job, you’ll partake in a variety of educational, social, and professional development workshops and events that will accelerate your professional growth while learning about Kiva and the non-profit, technology, and microfinance sectors.
This internship is based out of the Chicago office and reports to our local Lead serving that market.
Kiva is currently hiring for our January 16 – July 26, 2019 Internship Class
Kiva US is an innovative program, a “startup within a startup”, aimed at testing ways that Kiva can make its existing model more direct in order to:
- Expand access to capital for borrowers (e.g. by reaching borrowers who are geographically excluded from/do not qualify for microfinance loans)
- Lower the cost of that capital
- Enable borrowers and lenders to connect more directly
As one of the interns based out of the Chicago office, you are the ‘face of Kiva’ to many of our borrowers and partners. This intern is responsible for sourcing, vetting and supporting entrepreneurs through the Kiva process. They will work with our existing partners and Trustees, as well as find and onboard new ones.
- Inbound Borrowers: emailing and calling every new lead, setting expectations and educatingthe borrower about the Kiva process. Also supporting the borrower to create a strong Kiva profilefor the Review team
- Funnel Conversion: Supporting the borrower from launching application to getting fully funded and completing their first repayment!
- Partnerships: Setting up workshops with Kiva Trustees, distributing Kiva flyers to them,supporting them as they endorse borrowers, etc
- Marketing and events: setting up promotional opportunities for Kiva to get itself out there andbecome a household name!
- Events: Attend, plan, market and execute local events that support entrepreneurs and build community
- Public Speaking: Represent Kiva to audiences of potential borrowers at info sessions, workshops and small business events.
- Risk and Repayment: Working with borrowers to make their first repayment as well as those who are behind of repayments to get back on track
- Marketing Material: Support the US Leads with pieces of collateral on content that Leads can use to promote Kiva within their local market
- Must be 21 years of age or older by January 16, 2019
- Sales-oriented personality – outgoing, strong interpersonal skills
- Team player, but also highly proactive and able to work independently
- Ability to grasp complex tasks and deliver quality outcomes. Must be detail oriented!
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Thorough and organized, responsible and reliable approach
- Comfort with Google Suite, Web and Office applications
- Spanish speakers preferred
- Full Time commitments preferred
- Ability to apply to school-specific opportunities in conjunction with internship (scholarship, stipend programs, class credit)
- Professional development workshops
- Casual, dog-friendly office
- Access to Kiva’s network of Kiva Internship Alumni
- Lots of one-on-one time, attention and mentorship from supervisor
- References gladly given for successful participants
- Transportation stipend of $80/month for the duration of the internship (disbursed on a monthly basis), to help offset costs associated with traveling to/from the office
The weekly time commitment for a Kiva Internship is a minimum of 3 days per week, from January 16, 2019 – July 26, 2019. Please make sure you have the availability to commit three days per week for the entire internship period before submitting an application. *Please note: the managers for these positions prefer a full time commitment if possible.