Kiva (www.kiva.org) is an innovative non-profit focused on connecting people through lending to alleviate poverty and create opportunity. We run a global marketplace platform for crowdfunded microloans that serves the financially excluded. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to address poverty at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: “Loans that change lives.” In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.1 billion in loan capital for 2.7 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide.
Since its founding, volunteerism has been an integral part of Kiva’s foundation and success. As a Kiva Intern, you will contribute your passion, drive, ideas and expertise to expanding our reach and impact while taking on immediate and significant responsibilities within their teams. In addition to learning on the job, you’ll partake in a variety of educational, social, and professional development workshops and events that will accelerate your professional growth while learning about Kiva and the non-profit, technology, and microfinance sectors.
Kiva Internships are part-time, unpaid positions. This position is located in our San Francisco, CA office.
Kiva is currently hiring for our January 16 – July 26, 2019 Internship Class
With two classes each year, Kiva hires over thirty part-time interns to be placed within most departments of the organization. While hiring for internship roles, we evaluate your application and interests to match you to a specific team that will leverage your talents while providing you with an opportunity to develop and grow.
Although Kiva Interns range in age and experience, a common theme among our participants is a “can do” attitude as well as a desire and willingness to dive in and get their hands dirty
Kiva’s Design team is responsible for crafting the visual expression of all our brand’s communications both online and in person. Kiva’s users are passionate about Kiva. Our team creates the entire range of Kiva’s design solutions from research to UX, UI and marketing.
We’re looking for a talented Design Intern with a gift for solving complex problems with beautifully simple solutions. This person will be a vital supporting member of the design team, primarily for Kiva’s U.S. and Marketing teams.
- Work closely with other designers, product managers, and engineers to understand their requests and current pain-points
- Designing communications – both online and off – that are simple, elegant, and solve real problems for our Marketing and direct-lending teams. Examples include: flyers, landing pages, social media templates, event signage, etc…
- Must be 21 years of age or older by January 16, 2019
- An online portfolio of design work including some web and email
- Demonstrated ability to use Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch
- Proactive, good communicator, able to meet deadlines, and able to explain design decisions to non-designers
- Thrives in an iterative process that involves listening, adapting, moving fast, talking with users, incorporating feedback, and constantly collaborating
- Email design skills are a plus
- User research experience also a plus
- Professional development workshops
- Casual, dog-friendly office
- Access to Kiva’s network of Kiva Internship Alumni
- Free snacks, drinks, and donuts
- Optional participation in Kiva social activities, including:
- Athletic club teams
- Movie and game nights
- Happy hours
- References are gladly given for successful participants
- Modest transportation stipend of $80/month for the duration of the internship (disbursed on a monthly basis), to help offset costs associated with traveling to/from the office
The weekly time commitment for a Kiva Internship is a minimum of 3 days per week, from January 16, 2019 – July 26, 2019. Please make sure you have the availability to commit three days per week for the entire internship period before submitting an application.