Kiva (www.kiva.org) is an innovative non-profit focused on connecting people through lending to alleviate poverty and create opportunity. We run a global marketplace platform for crowdfunded microloans that serves the financially excluded. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to address poverty at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: “Loans that change lives.” In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.1 billion in loan capital for 2.7 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide.
Since its founding, volunteerism has been an integral part of Kiva’s foundation and success. As a Kiva Intern, you will contribute your passion, drive, ideas and expertise to expanding our reach and impact while taking on immediate and significant responsibilities within their teams. In addition to learning on the job, you’ll partake in a variety of educational, social, and professional development workshops and events that will accelerate your professional growth while learning about Kiva and the non-profit, technology, and microfinance sectors.
Kiva Internships are part-time, unpaid positions. This position is located in our San Francisco, CA office.
Kiva is currently hiring for our January 16 – July 26, 2019 Internship Class
With two classes each year, Kiva hires over thirty part-time interns to be placed within most departments of the organization. While hiring for internship roles, we evaluate your application and interests to match you to a specific team that will leverage your talents while providing you with an opportunity to develop and grow.
Although Kiva Interns range in age and experience, a common theme among our participants is a “can do” attitude as well as a desire and willingness to dive in and get their hands dirty.
The Technical Operations (“Tech Ops”) team manages all of Kiva’s internal technical and IT operations. We make sure that the wheels keep churning and our operations are critical to the overall success of the organization. Our team handles a number of responsibilities, including but not limited to; server maintenance, IT security, site reliability, and technical support.
As the Tech Ops IT intern you will be involved with developing solutions to some of Kiva’s difficult technical issues. Under the direction of the IT manager, you will be providing helpdesk support for basic IT hardware, software, and operating system issues. These issues will be reported via our ticketing system or in working directly with the customer. This will require a level of professionalism, listening and communication.
- Manage and maintain an IT ticket queue
- Provide technical support to staff for hardware and software issues
- Work with team members to appropriately implement hardware and software solutions
- Maintenance of on-prem technical devices
- Work with support staff for remote troubleshooting and repairs
- Provide training on internal technical Kiva tools to new employees
- Develop internal training content and produce blog posts pertaining to the technical operations of Kiva
- Asset Inventory
- Video Conferencing and Audio/Video support
- IT project management
- Gain an understanding of IT tools and procedures (Jira, Google Apps for Business, Meraki, etc)
- Must be 21 years of age or older by January 16, 2019
- Strong Communication Skills
- Independent Worker
- Problem Solver
- Strong analytical skills
- Time Management
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to follow and implement a plan
- Professional development workshops
- Casual, dog-friendly office
- Access to Kiva’s network of Kiva Internship Alumni
- Free snacks, drinks, and donuts
- Optional participation in Kiva social activities, including:
- Athletic club teams
- Movie and game nights
- Happy hours
- References gladly given for successful participants
- Modest transportation stipend of $80/month for the duration of the internship (disbursed on a monthly basis), to help offset costs associated with traveling to/from the office
The weekly time commitment for a Kiva Internship is a minimum of 3 days per week, from January 16, 2019 – July 26, 2019. Please make sure you have the availability to commit three days per week for the entire internship period before submitting an application.