Kiva (www.kiva.org) is an innovative non-profit focused on connecting people through lending to alleviate poverty and create opportunity. We run a global marketplace platform for crowdfunded microloans that serves the financially excluded. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to address poverty at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: “Loans that change lives.” In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.1 billion in loan capital for 2.7 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide.
Since its founding, volunteerism has been an integral part of Kiva’s foundation and success. As a Kiva Intern, you will contribute your passion, drive, ideas and expertise to expanding our reach and impact while taking on immediate and significant responsibilities within your team. In addition to learning on the job, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in a variety of educational, social, and professional development workshops and events that will accelerate your professional growth and knowledge of Kiva and the non-profit, technology, and microfinance sectors.
Kiva Internships are part-time, unpaid positions. These positions are located in our San Francisco, CA office.
Kiva is currently hiring for our January 16 – July 26, 2019 Internship Class
With two classes each year, Kiva hires part-time interns to support departments across the organization. When hiring for internship roles, we evaluate your application and reflect on your interests to best match you with a team that will leverage your talents while providing you with an opportunity for growth.
After reviewing applications, select candidates will be invited to a short phone screen with the Intern Program team. From there, candidates who are moved forward in the process are routed to specific positions for in-person interviews with hiring managers. More specific job descriptions will be shared at this point.
The Marketing Team
Kiva’s Marketing and Communications team oversees messaging with current and future lenders, as well as US entrepreneurs and partners on the ground. Our job is to collect content from the field, package that in a compelling way, and distribute it to external audiences to ultimately get them excited about the work we’re doing. We use a variety of channels to reach our audiences, including email, advertising, social media, influencers, and our website.
Marketing interns have the opportunity to be placed in one of the following roles:
- Digital Marketing: responsible for playing a key role in shaping messaging and engagement with Kiva’s community of over 1.5 million lenders.
- Partnerships and Content Marketing: responsible for playing a critical role in content strategy, creating messaging to attract new lenders, telling borrower stories and promoting the work of our partners
- Social Media Marketing: responsible for maximizing Kiva’s relationship with lenders by tailoring social media content and ads to target specific audiences.
- Must be 21 years of age or older by January 16, 2019
- Excellent writing skills (we will be asking for a writing sample during the selection process)
- Highly organized with an aptitude for working in a startup environment
- Proactive, collaborative and takes initiative to work on multiple projects
- Doer: the type of person who can take an idea or project and run with it
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficient in social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter
- Background in writing and creating marketing content
- Experience with Photoshop or other photo editing software
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) and Google Apps
- Well-informed about Kiva and microfinance with a strong interest in global development
- Familiar with HTML and CSS (or interest in learning)
- Professional development workshops
- Casual, dog-friendly office
- Access to Kiva’s network of Kiva Internship Alumni
- Free snacks, drinks, and donuts
- Optional participation in Kiva social activities, including:
- Athletic club teams
- Movie and game nights
- Happy hours
- References gladly given for successful participants
- Modest transportation stipend of $80/month for the duration of the internship (disbursed on a monthly basis), to help offset costs associated with traveling to/from the office
The weekly time commitment for a Kiva Internship is a minimum of 3 days per week, from January 16 – July 26, 2019. Please make sure you have the availability to commit three days per week for the entire internship period before submitting an application.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva’s culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Join us and help us achieve our mission!