Kiva (kiva.org) is a mission-driven technology nonprofit that facilitates ‘loans that change lives’ in more than 80 countries. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. In just 13 years, we have raised more than $1.2 billion in loan capital for 2.7 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide.
The Senior Accountant will join the Finance team as a new key leader to ensure compliance with generally accepted non-profit accounting principles, organization policies, special projects and external audits. This person will assist with the accounts payable function, payroll function, monthly closing of accounts and preparation of reports in support of the financial statements.
The ideal candidate possesses significant leadership capabilities, a solid operational and technical accounting background and works proactively to drive results. This person is a self-starter, flexible, has a high level of integrity and is action and goal-oriented in a fast-paced, team-oriented, collaborative environment.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage general ledger and assist in the month-end/year-end close processes, including ensuring all costs are properly recorded, reviewing journal entries, and helping compile the close package
- Ensure consistent financial reporting at project levels including the development of P&L statements for the different business units and projects
- Assist with analysis and interpretation of variances between budget / forecast and actual costs
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures and operational strategies including the review and implementation of process and system changes
- Assist in preparing PBC list schedules for the annual audit
- Assist with compilation of information for preparation of Form 990
- Document policies, procedures and workflow for assigned areas of responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or related field; Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license a plus
- Proficiency with accounting and planning software such as NetSuite, Adaptive and Concur; experience with software implementation a plus
- Experience in both non-profit as well as complex for-profit or publicly held organizations
- Exceptional knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, project accounting, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Significant experience working with senior leaders on making improvements to budgeting, forecasting and reducing time to close the books
- Significant ability to develop business focused reports and to provide important analysis and insights for management
- Ability to lead special projects at the department and organizational level, with a focus on change management
- In depth understanding of the procure to pay process
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer and Excel skills
What we offer:
- An amazing mission: Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty across the globe
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- Casual, high performing work environment
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva’s culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.