Join us in our mission to ensure that all students are mathematically equipped to solve the world’s most challenging problems! For 20 years, MIND Research Institute has been dedicated to the application of neuroscience research in the development of PreK-12 math programs that deliver impactful results at scale. As a nonprofit organization, and as creators of the award-winning program ST Math�”, we continue to receive support from corporations and foundations around the world to develop tomorrow’s STEM workforce.
MIND is seeking a dynamic, strategic leader with vision and the ability to drive innovative fundraising efforts while working alongside a program sales team, engaging multiple stakeholders toward a common STEM and education goal. He/she must be passionate about education and the value of research and measurable outcomes to positively impact student learning.
The Executive Director will report to the CEO, and will be responsible for MIND’s Social Impact department. This includes setting MIND’s development goals, ensuring that overall fundraising goals and strategies, operations, programmatic services and national, regional and local strategies are implemented and executed in a manner that is consistent with the mission and existing programs, while emphasizing a direction that supports the organization’s long-term sustainability and future growth. MIND is looking for someone whose participation and national experience have demonstrated an ability to grow and sustain a high-level of philanthropic support, community involvement, national visibility and awareness as well as genuine enthusiasm to make a difference in the success of our organization.
This leader will be a strategic and analytical thinker with significant national non-profit fundraising and leadership experience as well as management and financial expertise. In addition, one who can successfully collaborate and advise Board members, Fortune 500 companies, other national/regional corporations, foundation partners, high-net worth individuals and community volunteers as well as MIND staff throughout the country to embrace a strong culture of giving – one that fosters passion for the mission, cooperation, open communication and teamwork.
Specifically, the Executive Director will:
- Determine the optimal organizational model with the CEO and Executive Vice President of Partnerships to provide a long-term strategic vision for building and scaling MIND’s philanthropic arm (Social Impact department) that reinforces MIND’s mission, goals and strategic direction including the diversification of revenue sources.
- Understand the landscape of giving to set annual fundraising goals and priorities while guiding all aspects of the Social Impact team’s donor and partner relationships which includes prospecting, cultivation, stewardship and donor communications and relationship efforts.
- Work with CFO to develop and oversee effective financial reporting and forecasting functions, grant management and reporting, and processes and procedures for the Social Impact Department.
- Support the Social Impact grant team’s development, strategies and processes as needed as it relates to LOIs, concept papers, proposals, grant applications, grant progress and reporting, financials and all relevant activities to assist the Social Impact team’s national and regional fundraisers.
- Collaborate and work closely with Engagement (Marketing) team to develop external relationships and broaden MIND’s donor messaging to position MIND as a highly influential voice and thought-leader in the national non-profit education space integrating corporate and foundation CSR objectives for STEM and education overall.
- With the Chief Data Scientist and Engagement team, continue to develop and implement a strategy for leveraging research to extend MIND’s impact and influence through grant applications, donor communication, press, Partner Advisory Forums and other community events.
- Develop, implement and execute a communication strategy for external donors and partners to include leveraging MIND’s extensive neuroscience and education research, program data and results, ongoing R&D and new innovations to elevate and bring awareness to MIND’s work on a national level.
- Work closely with Chief Research & Development Officer to understand R&D funding needs and develop partnerships and strategies to grow its programs and take them to market.
- Serve as a core member of MIND’s leadership team to provide vision, direction and knowledge sharing regarding the development, implementation and execution of short- and long-term philanthropic and development plans, procedures and policies.
- Ensure the appropriate support and resources are established and provided to the Social Impact department to facilitate attainment of set goals, objectives and strategies, to meet and exceed internal and external expectations.
- Engage the CEO and the Board of Directors’ Philanthropy Committee in developing strategies to meaningfully leverage the Board’s giving and influence to impact growth metrics.
- Responsible for overseeing programs that encourage giving from members of the Board of Directors.
- Support the efforts to grow and diversify board membership as the Board of Directors evolves at a national level.
- Lead MIND’s annual Partner Advisory Forum in conjunction with MIND’s Philanthropy Committee.
Key Experiences and Skills Sets:
- An energetic leader with a minimum of 10 years in senior leadership roles, including demonstrated experience managing and growing a non-profit organization;
- A strategic and visionary thinker, able to develop a plan and execute on objectives utilizing a proactive, entrepreneurial mindset;
- A strong understanding of fundraising and current marketing/PR/social media strategies;
- Demonstrated experience working with Fortune 500 CSR leaders and foundation executives with a strong understanding of their key business goals and objectives (experience with high-net worth individuals is a plus);
- Ability to mentor, grow and guide an experienced group of fundraising, grant and program professionals (in-office and remote) by identifying and leveraging individual strengths to build a highly collaborative and effective Social Impact team;
- Ability to work cross-functionally with other departments to develop, implement and execute on strategies, initiatives and programs that advance organizational goals;
- Connect, influence, and inspire a wide variety of stakeholders, donors and partners as well as the general public;
- Comfortable presenting to C-suite executives, Board of Directors and other leadership professionals;
- Data-driven, analytically minded, and results-oriented;
- Advanced proficiency in CRM databases, social media, Microsoft Office Suite and other communication systems is a must;
- Knowledge in creating and generating effective reports and presentations;
- Prior experience working in education is preferred;
- Background in technology, marketing/PR/media and/or research is a plus;
- Ability to travel nationally, up to 40%;
- This position will be based at MIND’s Headquarters located in Irvine, CA.