MindRight is a tech+social justice nonprofit with the mission to empower youth of color to heal from trauma from systemic oppression. We provide daily, personalized mental health coaching to youth over text message. Through our service, we are making it possible for all youth, regardless of socioeconomic background, to access mental health support to heal from trauma.
We work on a problem we’re passionate about in innovative ways with amazing people. We are an interdisciplinary team of experts in software development, data science, clinical social work, and education leadership to transform the status quo of mental health for communities of color. Our tech team researches, designs, and develops new technologies and software to make our user’s interactions with our products and services more seamless and impactful. Our technology is making it possible for young people to get the easily accessible, culturally relevant mental health support they are looking for.
As a UX/UI Designer with MindRight, you will bring the creative vision to allow our technology to blossom. You’ll be responsible for the look, feel, and workflow of multiple MindRight products. Core products are our web application where coaches message with students in back-and-forth conversations, track student areas of support and progress, and interact with supervisors; and our school partner data dashboard that enables schools to better understand and meet the socioemotional needs of students.
You will drive the design for systematic and innovative product features. You have experience in interaction design, visual design, prototyping, and user research. You bring great visual sense with a deep understanding of the subtle nuance that makes a complex product feel simple and intuitive.
This position is located in Washington, DC and offers competitive compensation, with unlimited paid time off and flexibility in teleworking.
- Strategize, brainstorm, and define key features for MindRight products.
- Translate abstract ideas and requirements into tangible design deliverables.
- Collaborate closely with cross-disciplinary teams of developers, project managers, data scientists, community and youth advisors, social workers, and our coaches for changes, refinements, and ongoing improvements to our products.
- Author, iterate, and maintain documentation including storyboards, flows, mockups, wireframes, and prototypes.
- You are passionate about equity in health and education
- You are an advocate for youth of color in underserved communities
- You embrace a positive, strengths-based view of mental health
- You maintain clear ethical boundaries
- You take initiative and can work independently
- You hold yourself accountable to a high standard of excellence
- You are hyper realistic about what a goal takes and optimistic that you will achieve it
- You enjoy brainstorming with others and talking through ideas on the fly
- You evaluate details while keeping in mind the big picture
- You actively engage other stakeholders in developing and executing on ideas
- You actively reach out for help
- You give and receive feedback with humility
- You thrive in a team that keeps it 100
Experience & Skills:
- BA/BS degree in design or a related discipline, or equivalent practical experience
- Three to five years of UX/UI design work experience. Preference for experience designing complex solutions for complete digital environments and portfolio of designs including software, web, and mobile
- Experience working closely with engineers and product teams on technical projects
- Ability to empathize with users
- Insatiable eagerness to make users’ lives easier through design
- Natural tendency to put the users first
- Foresight in identifying potential pitfalls
- Ability to distill complex processes into simple, clear user interactions
- Developed visual standards and attention to detail
- Effective written communication and documentation skills