Location: New York City (or east coast)
Report to: CEO
myAgro is an award-winning non-profit social enterprise based in West Africa. We have pioneered a mobile savings model that allows farmers to invest their own funds in high-quality seed, fertilizer, and agricultural training to increase their harvest and income by 50-100%. Our North Star is to help 1 million farmers increase their incomes by $1.50 per day by 2025 and lift themselves out of poverty.
About this Role
Working closely with the CEO and leading the Development team, the Chief Development Officer will be responsible for developing and executing a strategy to raise $30 million over the next 3 years in support of myAgro’s growth plan. As a member of the executive team, reporting to the CEO, the Chief Development Officer will provide strategic leadership beyond the Development function, working closely with all organizational areas to broaden myAgro’s effectiveness and impact.
- In partnership with the CEO, Development team, and Board, develop and execute annual and multi-year Development strategies focusing on foundations, high net worth individuals, corporate philanthropy and other sources across the United States, the UK, Europe and across the globe
- Work with the Development Director team to develop and define foundation strategies to increase giving, both in the number of supporters/funders and in all levels of giving
- Manage a $4 million portfolio that includes $2 million of existing donors and $2 million of new funding brought in by the CDO
- Manage existing relationships with the Organization’s top donors, nurturing and stewarding these relationships and endeavoring to expand and deepen their engagement with the Organization over time
- Oversee and improve development systems and processes used to manage the organization’s donor base
- Ensure an effective marketing and public relations strategy to promote myAgro to relevant communities/groups
- Establish and maintain effective formal and informal links with major US and internationally-based donors, relevant government departments and agencies, key decision-makers and other stakeholders generally, to exchange information and views to support myAgro
- Build myAgro’s Development team capacity, processes, and systems including recruiting high performing staff and directing work and resources to reach myAgro’s philanthropic and investment goals over the next 3-5 years
- Motivating, coaching and managing the Development team, employing a coaching mentality to support team members’ goal attainment and ongoing professional development
- Serving as a brand steward, advocating, evangelizing and protecting myAgro
- Act as the senior organizational leader for the Development team, supporting and motivating high performing myAgro team members that support operations globally.
- Working with the CEO, act as a liaison to the Board of Directors for Development strategy and support
- A belief in the mission, vision and values of myAgro
- 10+ years of fundraising experience, including success leading a team, setting strategy, managing a wide array of development functions and achieving measurable fundraising results
- Demonstrated experience raising $10 million+ annually
- Personal record of securing 6-figure gifts
- Drive for Results – can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently is one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface and build relationships with senior executives, staff, volunteers, donors, and vendors
- Demonstrated ability for handling multiple, complex fundraising initiatives simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Experience partnering with Finance professionals to forecast and track revenue and cash flow
- Ability to work independently with a focus on achieving results in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to act as a spokesperson for the organization, influencing and engaging a wide range of audiences
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong problem solving, research, and analytical skills
- Prior international development experience
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, familiarity with Salesforce and online fundraising platforms
- Proficiency in French preferred
myAgro provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, national origin, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, and genetics. myAgro complies with all applicable federal, provincial and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.