Critical Requirement: Proficiency in English; French desirable but not required
Term: 12 weeks, starting summer 2018
Location: Bamako, Mali (Preferred)
myAgro is an award-winning non-profit social enterprise based in West Africa. myAgro has pioneered a mobile savings model that allows farmers to invest their own funds in high-quality seed, fertilizer, and training and increase their harvest and income by 50-100%. myAgro’s North Star is to help 1 million farmers increase their incomes by $1.50 per day by 2025 and lift themselves out of poverty. Learn more from myAgro’s founder here.
About the Manufacturing Design Intern role
The goal of the myAgro tools department is to develop labor saving tools so that smallholder farmers can more easily apply modern agricultural techniques in their fields. Usually, we do this in one of two ways – either by taking existing tools and adapting them to the West African environment or modifying tools that farmers already use to be in line with recommended agricultural practices. Our main tool so far is a “semoir”, an oxen-drawn planting machine that decreases the time required to plant with micro-dosing (a recommended agricultural technique proven to increase yields) by more than four times.
The Manufacturing Design Intern will work with the agriculture team and field team to design, test, and model agricultural tools for use by our farmer clients. In this role, you will gain hands-on, real-world experience by collaborating with an international team across several countries to improve a consumer product that may be used by thousands of smallholder farmers in the coming years. You will finalize and document your design to the level of third party manufacturing quality. Specific work plan and tool focus will be determined by current needs and the timing of the internship.
Qualifications and Experience
- Must be currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student
- Experience with 3D modelling and FEA (in Autodesk Inventor, AutoCAD, Autodesk Fusion, OnShape, SolidWorks, Creo PTC, or similar software)
- Experience with design for affordability or in low-resource environments (desired)
- Experience with design for manufacturing (desired)
- Enrollment in the Autodesk Student Expert program prior to the internship commencing
- Profeciency in French preferred
- Passionate about myAgro’s mission and values!
- Modest stipend, along with round trip airfare from your home to your work site
- Housing in myAgro’s shared transitional house
- Emergency medical insurance
- Opportunity to learn a local language
- Real-world, hands on experience designing and testing tools for bottom of the pyramid clients
- Make a significant impact on the growth and direction of a rapidly scaling social enterprise, and see the immediate impact of helping families move out of poverty!