About the Role
New Classrooms is seeking an entrepreneurial and innovative fundraiser to serve as our Director of Development. Reporting to the VP of External Relations, the Director of Development will serve as a key partner in developing and implementing a comprehensive fundraising strategy to support the organization’s growth by driving national fundraising through individual and corporate giving. The successful candidate will manage existing partnerships with individual philanthropic partners and identify and pursue new opportunities for these and others funders throughout the country. This individual will creatively identify and cultivate new funders, as well as deepen engagement with existing supporters. This position will also work closely with the CEO and other members of the External Relations team.
This is an exciting period for New Classrooms, and the External Relations team is instrumental in helping position the organization for future growth in partner schools across the country. The External Relations team aims to raise $15M in national dollars in FY18 and will continue to increase revenue targets, particularly for individual contributions, over the coming years. This goal is part of a three-year campaign to raise $48.5M for New Classrooms’ strategic plan. We are well on our way to reaching this ambitious goal and seek a team member who is energized by the opportunity to be part of this effort to build out our pipeline of individual donors and prospects. We also aim to identify new opportunities to engage corporate partners as part of the campaign. This is a fantastic position for someone that wants to be part of something big and to build relationships with high-caliber philanthropic partners in a collaborative and fast-paced organization.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity – highly adaptable and nimble with changing organizational needs and the prospect of new opportunities.
- You are a skilled relationship builder and strategic fundraiser with the ability to properly evaluate and steward new and current donors.
- You are energized by the opportunity to set and scale fundraising goals. You take initiative to reach ambitious goals.
- You have the ability to be a New Classrooms brand ambassador in meetings and conversations with current and prospective donors.
- You are clear and concise communicator in both written and verbal communication channels.
- You pay close attention to details and have strong follow-through with partners and collaborators.
- You can work independently but also have a strong track record of collaborating in small groups and across larger teams.
What You Would Do
Funder Cultivation & Stewardship
- Partner with the CEO and the VP of External Relations to help develop and implement new programs to attract and engage individual and corporate donors.
- Serve as primary liaison to CEO in preparing for donor engagements.
- Develop targeted communications and approaches for key segments of the donor market.
- Design and lead the long-term strategy to increase the annual revenue provided by individual donors.
- Plan strategic stewardship events and engagement opportunities to cultivate new prospective donors and engage current funders.
- Maintain portfolio of individual donors and prospects and research and cultivate a strong knowledge of prospective donors.
- Track current and prospective funder touch points and develop and execute cultivation strategies to move these opportunities donors.
- Represent New Classrooms as a brand ambassador when engaging with current and prospective regions and donors.
- Enhance organization’s corporate fundraising relationships by identifying and cultivating new corporate prospects.
- Lead strategy with the CEO and VP of External Relations for the execution of our annual fundraising event, Geek Out.
- Collaborate with Chief Program Officer and CEO to identify emerging organizational needs and to develop compelling “pitches” to fund new and current initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications team to create relevant fundraising materials and organizational collateral.
Initiatives & Administration
- Work with the VP of External Relations and CEO on special projects, as needed.
- Support the CEO to help manage and maintain key donor relationships.
- Maintain all current and accurate information on funder and stakeholder touch-points and contact information in Salesforce. Pull data reports and perform database maintenance on a regular basis.
What We Are Looking For
- 5+ years of professional experience in fundraising or sales in the non-profit, start-up, or political space preferred.
- Successful fundraising and relationship building track record with individual and corporate donors, a plus.
- Thrives in a fast paced, entrepreneurial, goal-oriented work environment.
- Demonstrates a high degree of flexibility, optimism, and sense of possibility.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to convey complex ideas in a digestible and donor-friendly manner.
- Experience using a CRM system (e.g. Salesforce, Zoho, etc.) preferred.
- A strong work ethic, supported by commitment and excellent follow up and follow through.
- Must be self-directed, organized, creative, proactive, and detail-oriented, with a strong ability to prioritize and execute.
- Willingness to “pitch in” and work as a team player on a spectrum of activities from supporting initiatives administratively to contributing to and executing strategy.
- Adaptable to changing environment and circumstances.
- Travel 3-6 times per year as necessary.