At One Degree, we believe finding emergency food, shelter, or health services when you or your family is in need should be as easy and straightforward as ordering a book on Amazon. We create modern tech-driven solutions that help families find, access, and manage nonprofit and social services efficiently and with dignity. We’ve helped more than 260,000 in the 9-county San Francisco Bay Area and, as of July, we expanded to Los Angeles County to serve 3.6 million more people.
As an innovative non-profit, One Degree has a solid funding foundation: Google, Y Combinator, the Knight Foundation, Tipping Point Community, and many others support our work. And we’re just getting started.
We are looking for a Development Associate to join our team of 12 full time staff in San Francisco. We’re raising $10 million over the next three years in partnership with government agencies, foundations, nonprofits, and other key partners. For the right person, this role is an excellent opportunity to master the crucial mechanics of an ambitious fundraising campaign. This role is a vital member of the Development team and will drive operations and process management for efficient, nimble fundraising. There are ample opportunities for growth in this role, and a successful candidate will be able to ramp up responsibility over time.
We are a low-ego, humble group of people that love what we do and love bringing out out the best in each other. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage those from underrepresented communities to apply, including but not limited to people of color, LGBTQ community members, people with lived experience in low-income communities, and individuals with disabilities.
You will thrive in this role if:
- You are a true “process nerd” who loves helping your team thrive by building good systems
- You are excited about working in an iterative, faster-paced startup environment
- You are a good writer
- You can take a complex project and manage to turn it into concrete results
- You can take major projects and minor tasks from start to finish without micromanagement, but you know when to ask for help
- You thrive when you have meaningful metrics and clear targets for success
- You want to be the best at what you do, and are up for what that entails (juggling deadlines in a fast-paced, growing organization, or stretching past your comfort zone)
- You’re an engaged collaborator, love getting and giving meaningful feedback, and you are committed to the success of your team and your colleagues
- The Development Associate will primarily be in charge of making our small-but-mighty development team as efficient as possible. They will own crucial systems management and associate-level tasks.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Systems and processes (30%)
- Keep One Degree’s primary database of prospective funder information accurate (Salesforce)
- Support Salesforce best practices for data entry and protocols
- Manage the team’s project deliverables and tasks for the full lifecycle of grants and contracts
Prospecting activities (20%)
- Research prospective opportunities to develop and expand a strong pipeline (including grants from foundations and corporations, RFPs from government agencies, and individuals)
- Own a modest portfolio of prospects from identification to submission and stewardship (with opportunity to grow professionally and add to your portfolio over time)
Solicitation activities (20%)
- Track and manage proposal deadlines and related tasks
- Write or copy-edit letters-of-intent, grants, and government proposals
- Assist planning and execution of occasional funder events or convenings
- Provide meeting preparation and research briefs ahead of meetings for senior staff
- Occasionally attend funder meetings; take notes and log tasks
- Use Salesforce to track and manage grant reporting requirements, deadlines, and related tasks
- Track award schedules and financials
- Plan ahead for repeat grant award opportunities
Development-related communications (10%)
- Maintain a calendar of events and speaking engagements intended to raise One Degree’s regional and national profile
- Draft email and blog copy about news or events (such as speaking engagements or awards) intended for prospects and funders
You may be the ideal candidate if:
- You have 1-3 years of experience in project management, marketing, communications, business development, or other related field;
- You’re a solid writer
- You have some experience in institutional fundraising, grants management, or business development
- You have done cause-related work or care deeply about social issues, such as poverty alleviation
- You’re tech savvy: You’ve used Trello, Asana or other collaborative project management software or grants management software such as Raiser’s Edge or Salesforce NPSP
We ask that you submit a cover letter along with your resume. In that letter please describe the aspects of this job description that spoke to you and why.
One Degree does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, disability, religion, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, military and veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation. Employment is contingent upon a background and reference check.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team, and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.