At One Degree, we believe finding emergency food, shelter, or health services when you or your family is in need should be as easy and straightforward as ordering a book on Amazon. We create modern tech-driven solutions that help families find, access, and manage nonprofit and social services efficiently and with dignity. We’ve helped more than 250,000 people in the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area and we recently expanded to Los Angeles County. We’ll soon be going national, and we need high-performing and visionary colleagues to help us get there.
We are looking for a Marketing Manager to join our team in San Francisco to help us reach the next 1 million low-income and at-risk individuals and get One Degree into their hands. We are also looking for someone who is excited about empowering low-income families using our platform. For the right person, this role is an excellent opportunity to grow professionally, focusing day-to-day on marketing and outreach work, with the possibility of taking on more strategic leadership over time.
One Degree is an innovative, technology-driven nonprofit with a solid foundation. We are supported by Google, Y Combinator, the Knight Foundation, the Kresge Foundation, Tipping Point Community, and many others. We are a low-ego, humble group of people that love what we do and love bringing out the best in each other. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage applicants from members of underrepresented communities, such as people of color, LGBTQ community members, people with lived experience in low-income communities, and individuals with disabilities, to apply.
You will thrive in this role if you
- believe it’s time to bring meaningful tech innovation to the challenges facing low-income families
- are a project manager at heart, who can take a complex project and turn it into concrete results
- have executed on a variety of marketing tactics, such as digital ads, email marketing, offline ad placement, and grassroots outreach
- thrive when you have meaningful metrics and clear targets for success
- recognize when “good enough” is the best strategy over “perfect”
- are data-driven and are very comfortable in spreadsheets and analytics
The Marketing Manager will drive forward One Degree’s growth and outreach in close partnership with other One Degree staff and leadership. About 80% of the role will be focused on reaching low-income and at-risk community members directly with marketing implementation work. About 15% of the role will be supporting and building relationships with professional users and prospective organizational partners. We have a well developed strategy for this role already, so only about 5% of the role will focus on strategy development. However there is plenty of room to grow into a more strategic role where you can take on building a roadmap to reach our ambitious growth goals.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Digital Advertising
You will be managing and setting up digital ads, including Google Adwords and others you identify as good opportunities to test and reach our target market.
- Offline Advertising & Collateral Distribution
In addition to reaching community members online, you will find people where they are in the real-world through a variety of non-digital media (transit ads, flyers, billboards, etc).
- Managing Social Media & Content
You will manage One Degree’s social media accounts (including Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook) and the overall content we disseminate to our user community.
- Email Marketing
You will plan for and manage the broadcast emails and text messages we send to our members to keep them engaged and informed, and to grow our community.
- Conduct Trainings, Webinars, and Demos
While the bulk of your time will be spent reaching low-income individuals directly, you will also partner with organizations who directly serve our target community. You will conduct demos and trainings for professional and community members through partner nonprofit and government agencies. In turn, they will become evangelists for One Degree and help us reach growth goals.
- In-person Outreach
For a small percentage of time, you will conduct highly targeted offline outreach to engage with community members in person, such as at community events, fairs, or other events where direct contact is critical and worthwhile.
- Set Goals & Report on Metrics
You will be focused on ensuring we meet our growth goals, and you will help set them and report progress to the rest of the team.
You may be the ideal candidate if you
- have at least 2 years of digital marketing experience, including digital ad placement and social media management
- have a bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- are an excellent writer and do not need a proofreader for most work
- have experience finding and maintaining an organization’s “voice” for outbound media and writing
- are tech savvy; high proficiency with Excel/Google Spreadsheets, task tracking software, and Salesforce a plus
- Have demonstrated experience using A/B testing to develop and refine ads based on ROI
- are familiar with tools like Hootsuite or other social media management tools
- Submit a resume and cover letter, describing the aspects of this job description that spoke to you and why, at this link by January 21: http://1degree.applytojob.com/apply/Oqit2fszTY/Marketing-Manager
One Degree does not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, disability, religion, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, military and veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation. Employment is contingent upon a background and reference check.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team, and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.