Amara On Demand (AOD) is seeking talented, dedicated professional translators to create quality subtitles for video content. By creating subtitles that preserve meaning and cultural context, you will help us make information and entertainment globally accessible.
PARTICIPATORY CULTURE FOUNDATION (PCF) is a nonprofit working to build a more open, collaborative, and inclusive world. Our flagship initiative, Amara, enables tens of millions of viewers to fully engage with videos that may have otherwise been inaccessible. Help us foster an online community dedicated to making content accessible to a global audience!
At this time we are actively seeking French, German, Hindi, Japanese and Korean translators.
WE WANT INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE
- Committed to accuracy
- Dedicated to making content accessible
- Eager to learn, grow, and improve skills
- Creating captions and subtitles in native language
- Synchronizing subtitles to video content
- Preserving meaningful content in subtitles
- Completing work according to specific project guidelines and deadlines
- Ongoing testing to demonstrate understanding of guidelines
- 18 years or older
- Native speaker* of desired translation languages
- Strong English skills
- Experience captioning and subtitling audio/video content
- Experience transcribing text and spoken language
- Ability to communicate regularly through email and Skype
- Ability to read and follow subtitling guidelines
- Basic understanding of the Amara Public Editor
*Native speakers are able to recognize humor, slang, and cultural references in their language and create subtitles that a local audience can understand and enjoy.
- Language certifications or education in translation
- Professional experience in translation
- Experience on Amara volunteer teams