We are currently looking for an experienced Senior Editor to join the PLOS Medicine journal team in either our San Francisco or Cambridge, UK offices.
As an integral member of the editorial team running an open-access international medical journal, you will be responsible for encouraging high quality research submissions, assessing research manuscripts, handling peer reviews, commissioning articles and contributing to other parts of the journal – as well as to PLOS as a whole.
- Handling a proportion of research manuscripts submitted to the journal from submission through peer review and publication, including presenting manuscripts to editorial team, interacting with reviewers and academic editors around manuscript assessment and review, and clearly communicating decisions to authors
- Being involved with editorial writing, press releases, and other related materials
- Participating in the daily running of the journal, including non-research content
- Being involved in the advocacy activities of PLOS Medicine and PLOS to include conference travel, visits to research groups, and engaging in journal social media activities
- Liaise with Editorial Board Members to identify areas of interest to the journal and to maximize the journal’s outreach efforts
- Network within the scientific and medical community
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced (MD, PhD, or equivalent) degree is required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A keen eye for detail, and outstanding organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively, and in response to hard deadlines
- A strong interest in scientific and medical publishing and open access
- Experience in assessing medical research manuscripts and handling manuscripts through peer review at a journal