Interested in joining a mission-driven nonprofit focused on building online educational tools to help millions low-income students become stronger writers? We are looking for an experienced Product Manager to join our Product Team. As a Product Manager at Quill, you’ll work on a cross-functional team consisting of engineers, designers, machine learning experts, and curriculum writers. You’ll also work closely with our Lab School partners across New York City as we co-develop new research-based learning tools.
You will be involved in the full product lifecycle including creating product specifications, deciding on and tracking key metrics, breaking down projects into deliverables, and coordinating amongst stakeholders from different teams. In this role, you will solve complex problems, learn about machine learning and education best practices, and work alongside a smart, passionate team building tools that have a positive social impact.
Quill.org is a free online tool that helps low-income 3rd-12th grade students become great writers. Quill.org uses natural language processing to automatically grade and serve feedback on student writing, enabling students to continually revise their work and quickly improve their skills. Quill.org has enabled more than two million students to write and receive feedback on more than 300 million sentences, and we aim to help ten million low-income students become strong writers and critical thinkers in the next five years.
Our pedagogy is based on years of research that shows that once a student understands the logic behind constructing sentences, his or her ability to read and write improves dramatically. Unlike common multiple-choice-based learning tools, our tools allow students to write directly in their browser and receive real-time, teacher-quality feedback. If you’re interested in learning more about how these strategies benefit students, Peg Tyre, an education journalist and Quill board member, has detailed the power of these strategies in this Atlantic piece.
Here are some facts about Quill:
- Over 2.5 million students have used Quill to improve their reading and writing skills. Students have written and received feedback on more than 300 million sentences.
- In April 2019, we won a grant from Google’s AI for Social Good initiative (blog.google/outreach-initiatives/google-org/ai-impact-challenge-grantees)
- We were named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Education Companies in 2018: bit.ly/2G7IExb
- Some of our funders include Google.org, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, and the Robin Hood Foundation.
- We are growing! We’ve grown from a team of 10 to a team of 20+ within the last year.
About the Product Manager Role
- Help millions of students improve their reading and writing comprehension.
- Work with the CEO, CTO, and Product Team as an individual contributor to develop and execute a product roadmap.
- Work with the team to develop OKRs and be accountable for the tracking and performance of key metrics.
- Gain a deep understanding of online education best practices and apply those insights to Quill’s learning tools.
- Plan and carry out user testing with our partner schools in NYC.
- Plan and execute on new products and features, including maintaining project timelines, mapping responsibilities, identifying dependencies, and defining success criteria.
- Work with our external partners and grantees and ensure our team hits our committed milestones and deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 2 years of Product Management or Technical Product Management experience.
- Passionate about Quill’s mission and values.
- Experienced with using both qualitative and quantitative data to make product decisions. You also know when and how to balance data with intuition.
- Strong project management skills. Ability to keep teams on track to hit goals and project milestones.
- A natural collaborator with strong communication skills. Ability to coordinate projects across multiple teams and skillsets.
- Independent worker who is comfortable making decisions.
- Experienced with the agile software development cycle.
- Experienced with managing day-to-day technical and design direction.
Nice to Have (But Not Necessary to Apply)
- Working at an EdTech company.
- Experience as a software developer or designer.
- Experience as a classroom teacher or teaching students outside of the classroom.
Quill Benefits Package
Quill offers a robust benefits package to all of its employees. The benefit package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance via Aetna
- Paid time off (15 paid holiday days, vacation starting at 15 days/year)
- Unlimited sick time
- 401(k) with 4% employer matching
- Paid Family Leave (12 weeks)
- Remote work policy of 1-day per week
- Professional Development Budget (up to $1,500/year)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Commuter Benefits (for MetroCards)
Applying to Quill.org
Quill.org is an Equal Opportunity Employer; people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to an inclusive workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
We are a rapidly growing team of 20+ working near Union Square in New York City. This is a full-time, on-site role, and we are unable to sponsor a visa at this time. To apply, please share your resume and any other resources you would like to provide, such as articles, blog posts, or Github projects, that might help us understand your background and skills.