Protect Democracy, a non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to protecting US democracy, is seeking a highly motivated, entry to mid-level Data Analyst to join the VoteShield project. This is a temporary position. The role will begin no later than August 1st, 2020, and go through November 30th 2020.
What is VoteShield?
The Senate Intelligence Committee’s report on Russian election interference found foreign manipulation of voter registration databases to be a primary threat to the integrity of American elections. VoteShield is a system that monitors state voter registration data and applies machine learning to detect anomalies and possible signs of interference or error. VoteShield is already monitoring the voter registration databases of dozens of states and hundreds of millions of voters. State and county-level elections administrators from both parties are currently using VoteShield to help protect their voter databases.
Our team is a small, growing group of individuals who care deeply about our mission and its success. We collaborate daily to improve our services, as well as challenge each other and our tools to build a better application and democracy.
*We’re looking for data analysts who have strong skills in statistical analysis, or candidates with a policy background and a working knowledge of summary statistics. If you meet any or all of these requirements, we encourage you to apply!*
As data analyst, you will protect the integrity of the elections by:
- Monitoring and reviewing new data for your assigned states via VoteShield
- Flagging anomalous activity for the team as needed
- Writing research reports that define groups of changes, explaining the context of the changes and the methods used for analysis
- Collaborating with in-state quantitative political scientists to verify changes
- Commitment to data-driven, non-partisan analysis
- Proven ability to clean up, analyze, and visualize data
- Working knowledge of statistics
- Ability to write reports that explain data analysis clearly and concisely
- Self starter who is able to direct their own research
- A passionate commitment to the preservation of democratic norms and institutions.
- Excellent critical thinking skills – ability to reason through novel problems and have good instincts about how to get to optimal solutions.
- Ability to track, prioritize, and where necessary triage work in order to always be using one’s time in the most efficient and productive way.
Nice to haves
- Ability to manipulate data in any of the following languages: SQL, Python, or R.
- Understanding of election law and voter registration data, or desire to learn about them.
- Basic knowledge of computational statistics.
About Protect Democracy
- This is a term employment position slated to end November 30, 2020. In order to make the transition post-employment as easy as possible, we will provide health insurance benefits through December 31st, 2020.
- Open to applicants from all over the country. This work can be done remotely within the United States. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. The VoteShield office is located in New York, but we have staff that work remotely from Washington, Philadelphia, and Michigan. Due to COVID, all of our staff is working remotely for the time being and we are committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our employees.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
- Competitive pay and benefits. This position is a short-term employment contract with salary and benefits that are commensurate with experience. We pay very well and offer compensation packages at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector nationwide. Benefits for this role include: full coverage in an excellent health care plan; optional medical, dependent care, transit FSAs and vacation + federal holidays for the length of the contract. In addition, staff are provided with the resources and funding they need to do their work excellently.
To apply to this position, send the below information and a resume to email@example.com with Data Analyst in the subject line followed by your last name.
- A resume in PDF format.
- 2 references that you are confident can speak to your work experience with a team, and your experience working with data. (We will not reach out to references without your consent, but want to ensure a speedy interview process down the line.)
Because of security considerations for this role, we may require a background check as part of the interview process, and we require that you are a US citizen or have been a legal US resident for at least 10 years.
*Recruiters, consulting shops, and outsourcing firms please do not respond*
Posted June 12th, 2020. We are trying to fill this position quickly and will be reviewing applications as they come in; this job posting will remain up through 11:59PM ET on July 16th, 2020 or until it is filled.