Raheem (raheem.org) is the independent service for reporting police violence in the United States working to end police terror against Black people. Since launching in 2019, we’ve helped more than 2,400 people report police and tied more than 275 officers to allegations of police misconduct.
We’re a growing team of designers, data scientists, and policy experts with a shared mission, who genuinely enjoy working together while appreciating the gravity of what we are building. The organization is led by Brandon D. Anderson, a Black queer abolitionist who founded Raheem in 2017 after police killed his life partner during a routine traffic stop.
We are building extraordinary tools to confront an institutional powerhouse that has profoundly shaped the lives of Black people. Tools that make police behavior more visible, move residents to the center of policymaking, and shrink the role of the police.
This requires imagination, hard work, and courage. We are working to achieve something unprecedented—help us build it!
What you’ll be doing
Raheem is at an exciting juncture and we’re looking for a Full-Stack Software Engineer to take our leading social and racial justice tools to the next level.
You’ll work directly with Raheem’s Founder, its Head of Product, designers, and others to invent, implement, and improve features for our growing audience of people who have experienced police violence.
- You’ll lead technical strategy for everything we do.
- You’ll participate in the strategic development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects and programs.
- You’ll brainstorm with cross-functional team members to conceptualize and implement new features.
- You’ll keep our production software running smoothly and work with the rest of the product team to prioritize issues and features to continually improve our products.
- You’ll collaborate with other contributors (volunteers and contractors) to maintain a high standard of code quality.
What will lead to success
Software engineering excellence
- Have a strong CS background you draw on to choose the right algorithms, systems approaches, and patterns to solve problems, without reinventing the wheel.
- Be able to hit the ground running. We generally look for 4+ years of full-time professional experience or the equivalent.
- Have experience building and owning full-stack applications end-to-end.
- Be comfortable leading technical architecture discussions and helping drive technical decisions.
- Be biased towards action and shipping. Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to a prototype to prove the concept.
- Be creative: you’ll come up with new ideas based on your broad understanding of technological possibilities and the domain knowledge you’ll learn.
Solving hard problems, together.
- Come up with novel solutions, working well with technologists and non-technologists alike.
- Ask hard questions and challenge assumptions to ensure that we’re solving the right problems.
- Take ownership of the technical side of Raheem by proactively looking for opportunities to improve and extend the product and infrastructure.
- Contribute to a positive culture that enables us to find joy in the work of fixing painful problems.
- Be committed to ending state-sanctioned violence against Black and Brown people, trans people, women, queer people, people with disabilities, people living without houses and all others who have the right to live and love freely.
- Engage with the problem space, taking the time to listen and learn with curiosity.
Culture and values:
Raheem is a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day.
- We aspire to be smart, humble, hardworking, and, above all, collaborative.
- We approach problem-solving using a Black queer feminist lens that recognizes systems of oppression and values difference and individual experience.
- We ask each other hard questions, hold each other accountable, and support each other’s growth.
- We use humor and warmth in order to enjoy doing the most difficult, meaningful, and impactful work of our lives.
If this sounds like a good fit for you, we can’t wait to meet you!
- Up to $160k / year, depending on experience and location
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- Parental leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Remote work – we’re a distributed team that works from anywhere with good internet.