If you are someone who wants to help make the world a better place and leave a lasting mark for generations to come, we want to talk to you! Rainforest Connection is a global team of passionate individuals committed to applying the most effective and timely technology to protect our planet’s precious, ancient forests. Our approach is to use the most advanced techniques available to make the ultimate solution elegant and simple. We listen to the rainforest remotely, using commonplace mobile technology and existing telecommunications infrastructure, and transform these audio streams into a profound and automatic understanding of the forest soundscape. Our approach is practical and it works.
Rainforest Connection(RFCx) seeks an experienced, mission driven, resourceful mid-level software engineer, who will collaborate with other developers to further build out the front-end of our web application. You will have a direct impact on our ability to scale, to protect more rainforest and endangered species around the world.
What you get to do:
- Write clean, performant code while working with an amazing team of developers!
- Encourage and leverage best practices around all front-end technologies to focus on performance
- Work with cutting-edge frameworks and technologies while advancing your skills along the way
- Make a meaningful impact by writing code that protects rainforests and wildlife around the world! Who else gets to say that at the end of their workday?!
- 2-5 yrs experience developing new user-facing features using Angular.
- Familiarity with Node.js and RESTful API development
- Web authentication using OAuth
- Familiarity with relational databases such as MySQL, data infrastructure technologies like Postgres and graphing databases such as Neo4J
Other Key Skills
- Experience with refactoring code, design patterns, design-driven development, continuous integration, and building highly scalable applications
- Good Unit Testing and Integration Testing practices
- Agile/Scrum Software Development Process experience is a plus
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Experience using git based version control systems
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- Bachelor’s (preferred) or equivalent experience
*Note: this position is located in Austin, Texas though we may consider a remote opportunity for the right candidate.
Rainforest Connection(RFCx) is a nonprofit tech startup that is committed to making a difference in our communities by protecting our environment and fighting climate change.We build scalable, open-source solutions to prevent illegal logging, poaching and environmental degradation. Our flagship project leverages commonplace mobile infrastructure to create real-time audio/data streams from remote rainforests, analyzing the data in real-time and detecting signs of destructive activity, such as chainsaws and logging trucks. Our platform is also used for biomonitoring of endangered species and can support a broad array of detection applications. By joining our team, you can help us create the world’s biggest shareable, searchable Audio Ark of rainforest sounds and eco-data. We’re creating a digital library that can give scientists instant access to vast troves of raw, acoustic data collected from ecosystems around the world.
Check us out here: https://rfcx.org/