ABOUT COLOR OF CHANGE
Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. We develop strategies to put an end to policies and practices holding Black people back while championing the solutions that move all people forward. As a national force driven by over one million members, we move decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more humane and less hostile world for Black people in America. In 2005, Color Of Change was founded in response to the realization that during the Hurricane Katrina crisis, no one was afraid to disappoint Black people. There were no consequences for Black people being left stranded on their roofs to die, nor was there sufficient infrastructure among Black communities to aggregate our power and demand them for those that perpetuated or refused to acknowledge the tragic injustice. Color Of Change impacts lives by introducing accountability into the systems of decision-making. We leverage emerging technologies and our media savvy and sharp focus to build the power it takes to move decision-makers in corporations, media, and government to drive meaningful change for Black people in service of ending injustice for all oppressed groups.
The Development Team of Color of Change (COC) ensures there are sufficient resources for COC to remain a powerful influencer across broad segments of the progressive movement. We are creative and passionate professionals committed to excellence in the pursuit of Color of Change’s mission. We are committed to racial equity in America and building an effective, unapologetic and unrelenting opposition– built to win media wars and win back hearts and minds; block destructive policies from taking effect; mobilize missions of people to define the majority, and ultimately govern the country. We do this by driving CoC’s resource development strategy and infrastructure, to advance the Color of Change mission.
Color of Change seeks a Sr. Manager of Individual Giving to serve as a key member of a development team that will integrate their deep passion and a general understanding of social and racial equity concepts, policies, activities in America to help expand relationships with individuals that can support Color Of Change to advance its mission. Reporting to the Director of Individual Giving, the Sr. Manager will chiefly be responsible for supporting Color Of Change’s fundraising plans for sustaining and growing relationships with individual donors across our c3, c4, and PAC.
This position will report to the Director of Individual Giving and will manage the Individual Donor Associate.
- Implement strategies for solicitation that will grow annual revenue from individuals that can provide small to mid-level gifts to Color of Change.
- Implement and drive a sophisticated prospect and research program for major donors.
- In partnership with the Director of Individual Giving maintain a cultivation and renewal plan for individual donors to further cultivate relationships and increase annual revenue.
- Communicate effectively with small & mid-level offline individual donors through written outreach.
- Implement a communications plan to keep in regular contact with Major Donors and prospects.
- Help provide support to senior and campaign staff in preparation for solicitation or stewardship opportunities, including providing reminders, materials, and draft communications, as well as assisting with briefings.
- Draft personal thank you notes for the President or
Donor Engagement & Event Coordination:
- Help lead the conceptualization and implementation of small to modest size fundraising and cultivation events such as salons or briefings, and activities that may require time before and after business hours –ensuring they operate smoothly, efficiently, and generate maximum revenue and exposure
- Manage consultant and vendor agreements, production schedules, and logistics prior to and during events to ensure flawless efficiency and revenue/expense optimization.
- In partnership with Marketing & Storytelling team, ideate and develop event creative briefs and communications plans that will guide the production of all event-related branding and promotion assets (invitation, event sites, in-room decorations, sponsorship solicitation materials, talking points, in-room call to action, etc.)
Planning and Reporting:
- Work in partnership with the Director of Individual Giving to:
- Reconcile contributions from individual donors and update the small to mid-level donor tracker.
- Track and report individual donor pledges
- Daily management of the Individual Donor Associate
Lead special projects as needed.
We’re Looking For Someone Who Is:
- A Relationship Builder. You are genuinely curious about new people and possess strong listening skills. You like learning what motivates people, what inspires their generosity and makes them feel appreciated. You have the ability to initiate, organize, and manage projects, and to interface successfully with colleagues in a collaborative approach.
- Persistent and Optimistic. You are intrinsically motivated and undaunted by ambitious goals. You have the creativity and tenacity to find your way around a “no” answer to a more productive “not right now,” “maybe,” or best yet, “yes.”
- Exceptional in Communicating Verbally and in Writing– Demonstrated ability to write and edit persuasive materials including successful appeals, proposals, stewardship materials, and other collateral. You have excellent presentation and negotiation skills.
- Intentional– Your working style is about creating order and planning ahead. You are a strategic thinker who always has their end goal in sight – asking for and closing gifts. You are skilled at keeping yourself on track with a portfolio of donors and are highly organized.
- An Organizational Maven– You can manage across multiple work streams and functions, keeping deadlines, and managing complexity by simplifying solutions, systems, and processes with clarity and attention to detail. You have the ability to efficiently initiate and complete multiple tasks on time.
- Adaptable and Flexible– You can handle any curveball, and in fact, you expect them. You can meet deadlines and manage competing priorities. Additionally, you are strategic and have the ability to pivot quickly as priorities shift and the team continues to take shape. You can and are willing to travel if needed.
What You Will Need:
- Professional Experience: You have 5-8 years of professional experience, with a proven track record in initiating, stewarding, and moving individual gifts to higher levels of support. You have deep knowledge of the major giving and the types of prospects that suit it. Has some fundraising experience with PACs, political campaigns, or 501c(4)’s.
- The Ability to Execute on Fundraising Plans and Strategies That Generate Significant Results. You regularly use data to drive decision-making and reflect on your rigorous and donor-centered plans for sustaining and growing your donor base and revenue. You have strong prospect research skills and a solid understanding of moves management.
- Mission Alignment: You have enthusiasm, familiarity, and demonstrated alignment with Color of Change’s mission and campaigns and also a commitment to building/ deepening your commitment to racial justice. You are steadfast in your support of COC’s long-term sustainability and are committed to a career with impact.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should click the “Apply for this position” link and submit a resume and COC-tailored cover letter.
The salary for the Senior Manager of Individual Donor Giving $82,000. Color of Change offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including generous vacation and holiday schedules and medical, dental, and disability insurances.
Color Of Change is an equal opportunity employer. Color Of Change prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.