Senior Product Manager
PLOS’ Product Management is responsible for working with business users to identify and refine business requirements, working with engineering to identify, size, and recommend solution options, prioritize product and solution backlogs for development, and creating product roadmaps. Product Management is focused on understanding and optimizing workflows as well as creating, maintaining, and transitioning internal and customer facing publishing and business solutions at PLOS using a combination of internally developed and custom configured third party platforms and integrations.
The role collaborates with internal research teams, business users, engineering, and management stakeholders. Our Product Managers may also consult with members of external communities such as scientific researchers, publishing industry groups, technology partners, institutional librarians, and funders to understand needs, identify opportunities, and inform plans. To be successful, she or he must understand evolving scholarly publishing and open science challenges, and support our team’s efforts to build innovative solutions for scientific communication.
The Senior Product Manager’s role is strategic as well as tactical, ensuring that our product plans and vision remain aligned with the organization’s strategic objectives. This role will also serve as an internal and external evangelist for product offerings, helping to plan and facilitate internal and external product rollouts and transitions.
- Managing product life cycle from strategic planning to tactical activities for multiple organizationally critical projects within PLOS’ product suite through market requirements, product implementation and positioning
- Building market requirements for current and future products/enhancements by conducting market research supported by ongoing contact with stakeholders
- Deriving and articulating solutions from a diverse set of requests across the organization
- Working with marketing and others to implement product rollouts and track success of products after rollout
- Analyzing potential partner relationships for new products and initiatives
- Managing internal employees and external vendor relationships: product, development and publishing resources
Qualifications and Experience
- 10+ years of product management and/or software development experience
- Experience creating, presenting, advocating, and implementing large-scale, long-term Product Strategy business plans and roadmaps, especially those that span across core departments within publishing (editorial, development, marketing, production, sales, etc.)
- Scholarly publishing or related work experience, especially with manuscript submission systems a strong plus
- Experience with agile software development processes
- Experience working as a programmer a strong plus
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Knowledgeable in internet technologies and publishing technologies
- Proven track record of successful project completion
- Ability to contribute both strategically and creatively
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Open to US remote based candidates
At PLOS, we were founded for the principles of equitable access and leveraging diverse insight for our collective progress – it’s core to who we are. Equal employment opportunity isn’t just a box we check; more than just accepting distinct perspectives, we seek and support them because we know they strengthen our teams, our work, and our communities. We’re ever-evolving in our journey for representation and equity, and strongly encourage applicants with diverse identities to apply: you’ll find a group of critical thinkers eager to challenge the status quo and learn with you as we continue breaking barriers to open science.
If you’re passionate about making a difference in the dissemination of scientific research, explore PLOS for the next move in your career.