VISION AND MISSION
The Ocean Cleanup develops advanced technology to extract, prevent, and intercept plastic pollution. Our goal is to initiate the largest cleanup in history by 2018.
At The Ocean Cleanup we face the unique challenge that we don’t only have to develop technology to solve a problem, but at the same time also have to work on understanding the problem itself. Understanding the properties of ocean plastic pollution is critical in developing efficient cleanup systems, determining optimal deployment locations and creating suitable recycling processes.
We are a young organization with a mission to tackle a global problem of an unprecedented scale. What we are aiming for is not easy, and we know we need to push the limits of current technological boundaries to reach our goals. We are passionate about creating awesome things. Working at The Ocean Cleanup isn’t for everyone, but we believe that through optimism, perseverance and ingenuity we can succeed.
We are recruiting a diverse team of bright, high-performing people, who feel comfortable going off the beaten path, and who perceive setbacks merely as necessary obstacles to be taken on the route to great and lasting achievement.
The Ocean Plastic Technician is responsible for assisting the research team in planning and execution of operations at sea and subsequent onshore analysis and data processing.
- Assisting in planning and execution of operations at sea for in-situ sampling and remote sensing
- Inspection and collection of data from plastic collected by our ocean cleanup systems
- Laboratory work and sample analysis
- Contribute to writing of peer-reviewed articles
- MSc (or PhD) degree in oceanography, marine sciences, environmental sciences, biogeochemistry or related fields
- Proven experience (more than 4 years) in seagoing fieldwork and expertise in state-of-the-art sampling methods in marine sciences (trawling, CTD, sediment trap, in-situ pump, multicorer, ROV), ideally combined with experience in remote sensing techniques using UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles).
- Knowledge in (statistical) analysis of large data sets (using R, matlab, or similar)
- Familiar with spatial analysis and global mapping using GIS
- Lab work experience; hands-on experience in techniques such as light microscopy, Raman, FTIR, gas chromatography, stable isotope incubations, SEM is a plus.
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed; and to participate in fieldwork campaigns with duration of several weeks.
- Flexibility, comfortable in a continuously changing environment
- Fast and analytical thinking
- Comfortable working independently
- Team player
- Willingness to travel abroad
- Strong command of English, verbal and written