Full Stack Engineer
Position: Full Stack Engineer
On-Site: Executive Director
Status: Full-time, open-ended, 6-month contract
Start Date: January 2021
Trek Medics International (trekmedics.org) is a non-profit tech startup (501c3-registered) looking for a highly productive full stack engineer with the ability to support and ultimately lead the enhancement and expansion of our emergency dispatching platform, Beacon.
Trek Medics supports emergency medical systems where access to emergency care and transport is unreliable through innovative mobile phone technologies. Working with local communities, Trek Medics leverages available resources to strengthen existing emergency response networks, including both formal and formal emergency responders, and improves the coordination of their response operations using whatever mobile phones they have available. We currently have emergency response agencies in 15 countries using our software to manage and coordinate their response activities.
The Beacon emergency dispatch platform is comprised of:
- Backend (v4.3) – Ruby on Rails
- Frontend Web App (v4.2) – Angular JS with some Ruby
- Mobile App (v4.0) – Flutter, available on Android and iOS platforms
- Messaging – SMS gateway providers, including Twilio and local 3rd party aggregators
The Full Stack Engineer will act as the lead engineer in the development, maintenance and improvement of our Beacon emergency dispatch platform.
- Take ownership of our full-stack technical architecture
- Champion engineering excellence and software quality
- Ensure uninterrupted operations of the platform
- Lead, support and grow our team of engineers
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Working with support from Trek Medics senior leadership and software engineers, the full stack engineer will:
- Contribute to the enhancement, scaling and maintenance of Beacon platform
- Apply incisive design and exceptional coding skills to support and improve the platform’s extensive and growing features list
- Lead periodic rapid re-factorings that keep the platform code fresh, flexible and reusable
- Collaborate with senior management and field program partners to identify, prioritize, design and execute new features and enhancements
- Support planning and execution of the product road map
- Advise on technical decision-making regarding current and future direction to ensure scaling and high performance
- Strong web server, database and architecture skills (AWS, Postgres, REST)
- Fast, clear, efficient code implementation
- In-depth knowledge of Ruby on Rails (backend), Angular JS (frontend)
- Experience/familiarity with Flutter (mobile app) is a plus
- Team orientation; ability to participate in lively engineering debate, making a strong case for well-considered opinions, while listening to, appreciating and critiquing your peers
- Ability to analyze and improve the scalability and performance of high-volume, information-rich Web applications
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must be highly self-motivated, ambitious, flexible, self-sufficient and high-energy
- Proficiency in basic mobile technologies and platforms (e.g., feature and smartphones, push notifications, SMS gateways et al)
Job will be remote. The majority of organization staff and partners are in foreign countries, so candidates must be able to demonstrate maturity and proven experience in self-management.
No dev shops, agencies, calls or personal emails, please
Must be fluent in English; very much preferable if you work within 5 hours of Eastern Standard Time zone.