UniversalGiving® is an award-winning website allowing people to donate and volunteer with top performing vetted projects all over the world. Unique to UniversalGiving, 100% goes directly to the cause. UniversalGiving Corporate provides Strategy, Operations, and NGO Vetting to scale companies’ CSR programs in more than 120 countries; our Corporate Services allow us to become self-sustaining. UniversalGiving has been featured on the homepage of BusinessWeek, Oprah.com, CBS, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times.
The NGO Intern will ensure top-quality NGO services through research, outreach, and execution of UniversalGiving’s Quality Model™. Before a NGO is published on our website, you will verify information about the NGO and ensure it is top performing. With proven track record, you will be trained in other aspects of NGO Services and given more responsibilities. This is a great opportunity to learn how nonprofits are run and to gain broad exposure to the non-profit industry.
As a UniversalGiving intern, you’ll have the opportunity to work with a diverse, passionate team representing over 25 cultures. Our work environment is fast-paced and entrepreneurial, yet collaborative and fun, including monthly potlucks and team events. Come work with us to achieve our vision “To Create A World Where Giving and Volunteering Are A Natural Part of Everyday Life®!
- Post on social media platforms and deepen engagement with existing NGO partners on social media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Manage NGO’s profiles on UG’s website to ensure they are updated and accurate
- Conduct research on and outreach to new NGOs based on NGO Strategy
- Determine which NGOs fit UniversalGiving’s Quality Model™ prior to being published
- Verify EIN numbers with IRS list of legitimate organizations
- Verify organizations’ financial information
- Verify compliance with U.S. Patriot Act
- Verify affiliations
- Promote NGO partners through community-based journalism and other marketing partnerships
- Other duties related to operations and administration
- Special NGO projects as needed on an on-going basis
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to self direct work and manage independent deadlines
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Flexibility and adaptability to change
- Computer skills, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Commitment to using and updating Salesforce, our Relationship Database
- Gain experience at a unique social entrepreneurship that has a global impact
- Gain entry, exposure, and experience in the nonprofit industry
- Increase your understanding of and alignment with global issues
- Collaborate within a positive team atmosphere
- Network with other for-profit and nonprofit professionals in an open office environment
- Career mentoring with Pamela Hawley, Founder & CEO of UniversalGiving
- For students, class credit can be arranged according to school requirements
Duration: Minimum 15-20 hours per week required for the duration of the internship, at least a minimum of 3 to 4 months. Ideal candidates are available to work out of our San Francisco office 3-4 days/week (Monday through Friday).
“I came into UniversalGiving as a shy recent graduate. I soon saw that this internship was like no other– I worked on high-level projects, I was mentored by the CEO (unheard of!), and I bonded with the grooviest team I have ever come across. The nerves left, but the values and experiences will stay.”
Germaine Lau, former Executive Assistant Intern
UniversalGiving’s Mission: To connect people to quality giving and volunteer opportunities worldwide.
UniversalGiving’s Vision: “To Create A World Where Giving and Volunteering Are A Natural Part of Everyday Life”®
UniversalGiving® is an award-winning website allowing people to donate and volunteer with top performing projects all over the world. Our projects are vetted through a proprietary Quality Model™ to ensure the most effective, trustworthy philanthropy possible. Unique to UniversalGiving, we take no cut on donations. 100% of your donation goes directly to the cause.
UniversalGiving Corporate consults with Fortune 500 companies on the Strategy, Operations and NGO Vetting for their international giving and volunteering programs all over the world. Some clients include Cisco, Symantec, Fluor, Sabre, Gap, BHP Billiton, RSF Social Finance, and inovia.
Located in the heart of San Francisco, UniversalGiving has been profiled on CBS and in FOX Business Network, and has also been featured in BusinessWeek, Fast Company, CSRWire, WomenEntrepreneur, Oprah.com, NBC News, The Christian Science Monitor, The New York Times, The Financial Times, MarketWatch, CNNMoney.com, Change.org and See Change Magazine. UniversalGiving has been featured three times on Great Nonprofits’ annual Top Nonprofits lists and is a Webby Award Honoree.
CEO Pamela Hawley is a winner of the Jefferson Award (the Nobel Prize in Community Service) and was selected as one of 50 leaders to the White House’s Next Generation Leadership and Social Innovation event. She is a Finalist for Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year Award, and a Colburn S. Wilbur Leadership Fellow at the Global Ethics Institute. She is a Fast Company Expert Blogger on CSR.
Email your resume, cover letter, two writing samples (two pages max), and three professional references with contact information (phone and email) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “NGO Intern” in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
UniversalGiving® is committed to understanding and representing the diverse populations it serves worldwide. Members of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities or disabilities, religions or beliefs, and cultures are welcome as employees and volunteers in our organization. We believe that a diverse team will best serve our diverse populations.