UniversalGiving® is an award-winning website allowing people to donate and volunteer with top performing vetted projects all over the world. Unique to UniversalGiving, 100% goes directly to the cause. UniversalGiving Corporate provides Strategy, Operations, and NGO Vetting to scale companies’ CSR programs in more than 120 countries; our Corporate Services allow us to become self-sustaining. UniversalGiving has been featured on the homepage of BusinessWeek, Oprah.com, CBS, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times.
The NGO Returnee will be responsible for playing a critical strategic and operational role in the outreach, research, and implementation of UniversalGiving’s 24-stage Quality Model™. We are seeking an experienced professional who can work closely with our CEO to expand our partners. Our ideal candidate has significant experience in the non-governmental organization sector and is ready to give back to a smart, efficient, and globally impactful nonprofit. Excellent communication skills, organizational skills and attention to detail are required.
UniversalGiving’s Returnship Program offer exciting opportunities to those wishing to make a significant impact and contribution to our global communities. Returnships are for experienced professionals returning to the workforce who desire to gain new skills, change professions, or simply yearning to give back.
- Conduct research on and outreach to new NGO partners based on NGO Strategy
- Determine which NGOs fit UniversalGiving’s Quality Model prior to being published
- Conduct research on NGOs by applying UniversalGiving’s Quality Model
- Manage NGO profiles online, making sure they are up-to-date and accurate
- Serve as the lead for NGO team and manage NGO interns
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 5 years in non-governmental organization sector
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Success in managing teams
- Critical attention to detail
- Flexibility and adaptability to change
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google applications (some training provided)
- Prior experience with Salesforce is a plus
- Contribute your high-level skills to UniversalGiving’s mission;
- Gain experience at a unique social entrepreneurship nonprofit that has a global impact
- Gain exposure, and experience in the nonprofit industry
- Increase your understanding of global issues
- Work directly with our CEO, Pamela Hawley
- Collaborate with a positive and innovative team
- Network with other for-profit and nonprofit professionals in an open office environment.
Duration: Minimum of 15-20 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months. Ideal candidates are available to work in our San Francisco office 2-3 days/week (Monday through Friday) with the possibility of some work completed remotely. As this is a leadership position, the majority of work should be done in-office.
- We value our interns and volunteers and take these positions very seriously. For this reason, we ask for a $200 fully refundable retainer to secure your position. This check pays for the your seat in our coworking space, professional training and management guidance that you will receive. Because our interns are such an integral part of UniversalGiving, we implemented this policy several years ago to ensure the accountability of all team members. We return your full deposit on the last day of your internship. Please do not hesitate to contact us with further questions!
UniversalGiving® is an award-winning website allowing people to donate and volunteer with top performing projects all over the world. Our projects are vetted through a proprietary Quality Model™ to ensure the most effective, trustworthy philanthropy possible. Unique to UniversalGiving, we take no cut on donations. 100% of your donation goes directly to the cause.
UniversalGiving Corporate consults with Fortune 500 companies on the Strategy, Operations and NGO Vetting for their international giving and volunteering programs all over the world. Some clients include Cisco, Symantec, Fluor, Sabre, Gap, BHP Billiton, RSF Social Finance, and inovia.
Located in the heart of San Francisco, UniversalGiving has been profiled on CBS and in FOX Business Network, and has also been featured in BusinessWeek, Fast Company, CSRWire, WomenEntrepreneur, Oprah.com, NBC News, The Christian Science Monitor, The New York Times, The Financial Times, MarketWatch, CNNMoney.com, Change.org and See Change Magazine. UniversalGiving has been featured three times on Great Nonprofits’ annual Top Nonprofits lists and is a Webby Award Honoree.
CEO Pamela Hawley is a winner of the Jefferson Award (the Nobel Prize in Community Service) and was selected as one of 50 leaders to the White House’s Next Generation Leadership and Social Innovation event. She is a Finalist for Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year Award, and a Colburn S. Wilbur Leadership Fellow at the Global Ethics Institute. She is a Fast Company Expert Blogger on CSR.
UniversalGiving’s Mission: To connect people to quality giving and volunteer opportunities worldwide.
UniversalGiving’s Vision: “To Create A World Where Giving and Volunteering Are A Natural Part of Everyday Life”®
“I came to UniversalGiving at a time when I was looking for a way to have more meaning with my work. After years in management consulting, finance, and then home raising two young children, I was ready to give back to the world in a different way. I began as a volunteer in their Returnship program and four years later, am leading Operations. UniversalGiving is a professional environment that has given me meaning, experience in new realms, and flexibility in my work schedule. I am so proud to be a part of this amazing team that is doing great things in the world.”
Former Senior Manager of Operations
Please email your resume, cover letter, a brief writing sample, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “NGO Returnship” in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
UniversalGiving® is committed to understanding and representing the diverse populations it serves worldwide. Members of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities or disabilities, religions or beliefs, and cultures are welcome as employees and volunteers in our organization. We believe that a diverse team will best serve our diverse populations.
Follow us on social media: